Home |   Research Center |   Photographs |  Hillerman Map Project

The Hillerman Map Project

Photographs of Oklahoma City

21412.BH696.1, Z.P. Meyers/Barney Hillerman Photographic Collection, OHS (map #5S)

Old County Courthouse

Address: 520 West Main Street (Main Street and Dewey)

View: Southeast

Architectural Style: Massive Romanesque (Edwards and Ottaway, Vanished Splendor, inside cover)

Architect: Willam A. Wells and George Burlinghof (Edwards and Ottaway, Vanished Splendor, inside cover)

Built: 1906 (Edwards and Ottaway, Vanished Splendor, inside cover)

Destroyed: 1950 (Edwards and Ottaway, Vanished Splendor, inside cover)

"Perhaps no other building symbolizes Oklahoma more than the Oklahoma County Courthouse. Construction began on November 4, 1904, and was completed in 1906. It was designed by architects William A. Wells and his partner George Burlinghof in a style designated as Massive Romanesque. No sooner had plans been announced and the plot of land acquired, than a controversy developed between the business interests on Main and Grand. Each street had influential spokesmen and each side wanted the Court House to face on its street. A compromise was finally reached and the building was placed so that it faced west on Dewey between Grand and Main. In reality this meant that few people actually used the front entrance, but opted for the preferred side and back entrances instead. Exterior walls were constructed of Indiana limestone with the interior floors of granite and the walls and stairways of Vermont marble. The city literally outgrew the building and quite soon after it was completed, governing agencies were forced to rent office space in buildings outside of the Courthouse. The County moved in 1938 to a new Court House that was built in the Civic Center complex. The old Court House building was used by the federal government to house a group of wartime agencies during World War II, but a fire in 1944 caused the building to be abandoned and boarded up. Demolition began late in 1950 and was completed the following year. The land was used for a time as a parking lot and later sold to the Holiday Inn Corporation for a downtown motel." (Edwards and Ottaway, Vanished Splendor, interior cover)





Click points or areas on the map to view historic photographs of downtown Oklahoma City.


Ford Assembling Plant
Municipal Auditorium
Bird’s Eye View of Civic Center and Courthouse
Old County Courthouse
Montgomery Ward Building
Hotel Black
Motor Hotel
Plaza Court
Gene Jones Motor Co.
Magnolia Petroleum Company
Rockwell Apartments
Masonic Temple (Home State Life Building)
Kirkpatrick Hotel
Elks Lodge (Key Building, ONG Building)
Federal Building
US Post Office
Federal Reserve Bank
Cotton-Exchange Building
Oklahoma County Courthouse
YWCA
Hightower Building
Mercantile Building (Levy Building)
Majestic Building
First National Building
Wright Building
Skirvin Tower
Rock Island Railroad Depot
Skirvin Hotel
Insurance Building
Public Warehouse Company
Patterson and Hoffman Wholesale Cigars and Pipes
Milner Hotel
Hotel Kingkade
Herskowitz Building
Santa Fe Railroad Station
Wells Roberts Hotel
Sooner Theatre
Colcord Building
Baltimore Building
Midwest Theatre
Kress
Lerner
Katz Drug
The American National Building
Empire Building
Criterion Theatre
Biltmore Hotel
Oklahoma Club Building
Farmer's National Bank Building
Commerce Exchange Building
Huckins Hotel, Huckins Garage
Campbell Building
Hales Building
Fidelity Bank
Britling Cafeteria
Manly Office Supply Company
Perrine Building, Cravens Building
Baum Building
Security National Building
Ramsey Tower, City National Building
Petroleum Building
Franklin Building
Braniff Building
Kerr-McGee Building
Capitol Federal Savings and Loan
Telephone, Pioneer, Southwestern Bell
Street View
Street View
Street View
Street View
Street View
Street View
Street View
Street View
Street View
Parade on Broadway
Street View
Street View
Aerial View
Bird’s Eye View
Bird’s Eye View
Bird’s Eye View

The Z. P. Meyers/Barney Hillerman Photographic Collection

The Z. P. Meyers/Barney Hillerman Photographic Collection includes thousands of images, many of which depict businesses in Oklahoma City. Many photographs in the collection are from the Meyers Photo Shop, which employed Barney Hillerman and other photographers. This map highlights significant buildings in the downtown Oklahoma City area, as well as street and aerial views. The map features images dating from the late 1920s to the 1960s.

This project was made possible by a grant from the Pauline Dwyer Macklanburg and Robert A. Macklanburg Jr. Foundation.

You can view more images from the Z. P. Meyers/Barney Hillerman Photographic Collection on The Gateway to Oklahoma History.
Visit The Gateway to Oklahoma History.