Home >

SHPO Presents 2016 Awards

The Oklahoma Historical Society's State Historic Preservation Office presented its 2016 Citations of Merit during an awards banquet in Enid on June 2, 2016, a highlight of Preservation is Golden: Oklahoma's 28th Annual Statewide Preservation Conference. The recipients have contributed to the preservation of Oklahoma's significant archeological and historic properties through research, public programming, restoration/rehabilitation, and other activities. The recipients included:

2016 Citation of Merit Awards

1. Amber-Pocasset Elementary School, Third Grade

In 2015 the Amber-Pocasset Elementary School received an Oklahoma Educational Technology Trust grant, and the schoolís third grade class is recognized this evening for their outstanding project completed with a share of the funds. With iPads purchased for their classroom as the tools, they produced an iMovie about the Pocasset Gymnasium, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The students interviewed community members, collected historic photographs, and took new images of the building for use in their documentary. While learning about using technology, the class learned about local history, the Great Depression, and the New Deal. The entire community also learned about the challenges and the importance of preserving local heritage through the studentsí work. The citation of merit was presented on May 26, 2016 at the Amber-Pocasset elementary school end of year awards ceremony.

2. Carnegie Centre LLC; Beck Design; and Sikes Abernathie Architects

With Judy Hatfieldís leadership Carnegie Centre LLC, Beck Design, and Sikes Abernathie Architects completed the certified rehabilitation of Oklahoma Cityís Historic Main Public Library, located at 131 Dean McGee Avenue. Redevelopment of the Mid-Century Modern building qualified the developer for the federal and state rehabilitation tax credits. The new Carnegie Centre houses nineteen apartments, a parking garage, a cafť, an architectural firm, and the downtown campus of the University of Central Oklahoma.

3. Bruce Smith

The Pawhuska Downtown Historic District was listed in the National Register in 1986, and the 1912 Pawhuska Drug Store was identified as a contributing resource to the district. For a time, the building housed an OTASCO store, and then it sat vacant. In 2013 Bruce and Kekar Properties purchased the building and adapted it for a branch office of Ameriprise Financial Services. Bruce met once with SHPO staff to learn about the rehabilitation standards and the preservation tax incentives program. He was careful to protect the character defining features that reflected more than a century of local history, and the National Park Service certified the project in 2015.

4. Comprise CDC; Rosin Preservation LLC; and Yeager Architects

Constructed in 1911 and expanded through the decades, Oklahoma Cityís historic Wesley Hospital is located at 300 Northwest 12th and is individually listed in the National Register. In 2013, work began on a certified rehabilitation of the building, a residential center for seniors. The property is now operated as Wesley Village. Pete Marrone of Comprise CDC is the owner. His design team included Kristen Ottesen of Rosin Preservation LLC, who provided historic preservation consulting services, and the Yaeger Architecture firm which provided rehabilitation design and construction documentation services.

5. Grady County Historical Society

The Grady County Historical Society occupies the historic Dixie building, a contributing resource to the National Register-listed Chickasha Downtown Historic District. The organization receives the Citation of Merit for its sensitive rehabilitation of the building. Project work included repair of the faÁadeís white glazed brick, damaged by installation of a metal false front; installation of a sign that replicates the design of the original; repair of the distinctive LUXFER prism glass windows in the clerestory; and rehabilitation of interior spaces. We appreciate the contributions of our nonprofit preservation partners like the Grady County Historical Society.

6. Midtown Renaissance; David Kraszewski, Architect; and Preservation and Design Studio

The 1904 Marion Hotel is situated at the north edge of downtown Oklahoma City within the Automobile Alley Historic District. By 2010 the hotel had been vacant and deteriorating for decades. The exterior brick walls were separating at the corners, and the roof was failing. Despite these conditions, the SHPO often received inquiries from prospective developers searching for a way to reuse the building. But, it was Midtown Renaissance that ultimately had the vision and the commitment to the Marionís rehabilitation. With the consulting services of David L. Kraszewski Architect, and Preservation and Design Studio, Midtown Renaissance completed a five-year, certified rehabilitation of the hotel, adapting it for apartments.

7. Interak Corporation and Sikes Abernathie Architects

Conversion of a wide open warehouse to serve multiple mixed-use tenants, while satisfying the Secretary of the Interiorís Standards for Rehabilitation, is no simple feat. During the Brady Historic Districtís period of significance the Ward Building functioned as a warehouse with one large clear span interior space. Here is where Greg Oliphant and the Interak Corporation saw an opportunity to offer a variety of services to Tulsaís new downtown resident community. Interak, with the services of Sikes Abernathie Architects, completed a certified rehabilitation of the building that retained the expansive interior volume, overhead truss features, storefront entrance, and loadbearing exterior brick masonry.

8. Charles Elliott

With a bond issue, Creek County paved an existing, unpaved roadway to the Lincoln County line in 1925, and it became part of U.S. Highway 66 in 1926. However, the Depew segment was abandoned when Route 66 was realigned in 1938. A few years ago, Charles Elliott acquired the segment for use as the approach to his commercial property. One of only fifteen stone bridges documented in Oklahoma carries the roadbed segment over an unnamed creek. Charles immediately began restoration of the property. The land had been used for grazing cattle and for illegal dumping. He removed the debris, filled holes, cleaned out the creek bed, preserved the rare stone bridge, and worked with the SHPO to list the roadbed in the National Register.

9. Brent Swift Design Build and Butzer Gardner Architects

The Logan Apartments at 720 West Boyd Street, Norman, are located near The University of Oklahoma. Erected in 1929 by local businessman David Logan, and designed by Thomas Lester Sorey to serve students and faculty, the building represents a change in the patterns of community development and growth in the surrounding Chautauqua neighborhood as the university campus expanded. Though the building was abandoned in the 1990s and left to deteriorate, a new owner and architect looked beyond the ill-conceived modifications and the dilapidation to bring the building back to life. Brent Swift Design Build, with the services of Butzer Gardner Architects, completed a certified rehabilitation of the building. The project is an excellent example of how the federal and state preservation tax credits are facilitating redevelopment activities statewide.

10. Founderís Tower Condominiums, LLC; Richard R. Brown Associates; and Steven McQuillin & Associates

Constructed in 1964 for the United Founders Life Insurance Corporation, this Mid-Century Modern building on Mosteller Drive in northwest Oklahoma City is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and underwent a certified rehabilitation for the federal and state preservation tax credits. The Tower was converted from business office space to accommodate sixty-five new apartments on the upper floors, with commercial and restaurant spaces on both the ground and penthouse levels. Richard R. Brown Architects and Steve McQuillin & Associates, Building Preservation Consultants, provided professional services to the Founderís Tower Condominiums LLC to complete the project.

11. Jodi Rolls

Jodi Rolls, and her partner Mark, worked tirelessly from the time they purchased the Meloy House until Markís death in 2014, on the restoration of this rare resource in Mustang. An example of how hard they worked to preserve the local landmark includes their removal of the dirt that had drifted under the open space below the house and filled it to the floor joists. They had to remove the wood kitchen floor and shovel the dirt out through the windows. Then, they repaired the wood windows, removed artificial siding, repaired the wood siding and restored wood floors throughout the house. Jodi completed research and wrote the history of the property for the successful National Register of Historic Places nomination and has brought the history of Mustang back to the attention of City Planners.

12. Midtown Renaissance and Butzer Gardner Architects

Midtown Renaissance and Butzer Gardner Architects receive the Citation of Merit for the certified rehabilitation of The Mayfair. From 1910 through 1935, numerous brick box apartment buildings were constructed in Oklahoma Cityís midtown, and they convey the historical development of the area. The Mayfair is among the last of the type constructed during the period. The Brick Box Apartments were significantly different from earlier multi-family housing, featuring amenities such as the ďlatestĒ in kitchens and bathrooms, as well as personal services. The rehabilitation project preserved the significant historic character of The Mayfair while providing the amenities expected in contemporary living spaces of today.

13. Nelson+Stowe Development; Ross Group; and KKT Architects

The Coliseum Apartments was built in 1925 to provide workforce housing. By 2014 it had fallen into extreme disrepair. There was spalling brick, roof leaks, rotted windows, decaying plaster, moldering carpet, and squatters. The owners approached the $2.5 million certified rehabilitation with the goal of creating affordable market-rate apartments in downtown Tulsa. Project work included installation of a new roof, brick and terracotta repair, and new windows that replicated the deteriorated historic windows. The historic configuration was maintained on the interior, while new hardwood floors, fresh walls and ceilings, and contemporary kitchen and bathroom fixtures and finishes were installed. Congratulations to Nelson+Stowe Development, Ross Group, and KKT Architects for their efforts.

14. Elise Kilpatrick; Seibold Architecture; and Preservation and Design Studio

Perhaps one of the best-known buildings in Oklahoma City and a Route 66 icon is the Milk Bottle Grocery at 2426 North Classen Boulevard. It was listed in the National Register in 1998 for its architectural merit. The building could have been lost decades ago if not for the efforts of John Kilpatrick. After his death, his daughter, Elise, became the steward of the little, triangular building. With the services of Seibold Architecture and Preservation and Design Studio, she completed a certified rehabilitation of the building. It is the smallest building in Oklahoma to benefit from the federal and state rehabilitation tax credits, demonstrating that these incentives can help preserve buildings of all sizes.

15. St. Gregoryís University and TAP Architecture

On November 5, 2011, a 5.6 magnitude earthquake shook central Oklahoma, and when it was over, people wondered if the damage to the historic Benedictine Hall at St. Gregoryís University in Shawnee could ever be repaired. But, the university was determined to restore their landmark building, and they secured the services of TAP Architecture to help them plan and complete the recovery process in accordance with the Secretary of the Interiorís Standards. Harley Lingerfelt of St. Gregoryís and Rick Lueb of TAP worked for the Abbot Lawrence Stasyszen to complete the project. The towers were restored, the front steps were repaired, and the building returned to service on July 1, 2014.

16. Oklahoma City University School of Law and Frankfurt Short Bruza Associates

Built in 1910, Central High School at 817 North Robinson in Oklahoma City is one of Solomon Laytonís architectural masterpieces. As a result of a certified rehabilitation, the building once again serves an educational purpose. It is now the home of the Oklahoma City University Law School. William Mee of Pro Realty Oklahoma City and the OCU Law School Building Associates led the redevelopment project with architectural services from Fred Schmidt, Jason Holuby, and Todd Crowl of Frankfurt Short Bruza Associates. The rehabilitation work included preservation of the auditoriumís proscenium, reconstruction of wood double hung windows, and preservation of the main lobby space.

17. Linda Barnett
In 2002, Linda became the director of the Oklahoma Main Street Center at the Oklahoma Department of Commerce. She has influenced 60 official Main Street project areas, with over 1 billion dollars in public and private reinvestment realized in these commercial districts. Much of the investment resulted in the rehabilitation of historic buildings. Prior to becoming the OMSC Director, Linda served as Regional Economic Development Director for northwest Oklahoma, the director of Woodward Main Street, and the director of the Woodward Chamber of Commerce. On June 30, 2016, she will retire from public service, and the State Historic Preservation Office staff recognizes her contributions to historic preservation efforts statewide. Lindaís leadership has been an important factor in the success of Main Street and in the effectiveness of the OMSC and SHPO partnership.

18. Robert L. Brooks
Bob is recognized this evening for his more than thirty years of dedicated work to identify, protect, and treat Oklahomaís archeological sites. In December 2015, he retired as Director of the Oklahoma Archeological Survey and State Archeologist at The University of Oklahoma. The OAS and SHPO work closely to carry out programs established under the National Historic Preservation Act, and Bob began his work at OAS in 1981, serving as the SHPOís regular contact. His responsibilities included the review of federal undertakings under Section 106 of the NHPA, development of the statewide preservation plan, and a number of public outreach activities. His research interests include the Southern Plains and Southeastern U.S., prehistoric agriculture, cultural landscapes, and resource management. The SHPO staff will miss working with Bob as the State Archeologist but looks forward to partnering with him in other ways to protect Oklahomaís heritage.

19. John D. Hartley
John has devoted the last thirty years to public service and historic preservation. While pursuing his graduate degree in the 1970s, he worked for and later directed the Oklahoma River Basins Survey Program. In 1985, after working as a private consultant in several states, he returned to Oklahoma as the Department Archaeologist of the Oklahoma Department of Transportation. He was instrumental in completion of Oklahomaís first historic bridge survey and worked with ODOT to expand and diversify the agencyís Cultural Resources Program. In 2006, he retired from ODOT and joined the staff of the Federal Highway Administration-Oklahoma Division as Environmental Program Manager. John worked closely with the SHPO staff throughout his service at ODOT and FHWA to ensure that federally funded transportation projects were in compliance with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act. The SHPO also appreciates Johnís service as a member of the Historic Preservation Review Committee and looks forward to continuing work with him in the preservation of Oklahomaís heritage.

20. Kingkini Arend
In May of 2014, Kingkini arranged a tour of Enidís Mid-Century Modern Architecture for members of the Okie Mod Squad. The organization works to showcase these unique properties, increase the publicís awareness of their importance, and preserve Oklahomaís Mid-Century Modern architectural legacy for future generations. We commend Kingkini for her efforts to share Enidís historic buildings through her impressive tour for the Squadders and for this yearís preservation conference participants.

21. Main Street Enid, Inc.
Main Street Enid is commended for creating a website dedicated to preserving and sharing Downtown Enidís history. At www.DowntownEnidHistory.com, people view photographs, add comments, and share memories about Downtown Enid, block-by-block, building-by-building. The website is continually updated as more historic photos and stories are collected. A before-and-after comparison section, videos, and oral histories are in the works for addition to the site. The project is a great example of how technology can be used as an effective preservation tool.

22. Tammy Wilson
Tammy Wilson of the Enid Event Company shares local and regional history through her Eerie Enid Ghost Tours and Oklahoma Ghost Town Tours. The Eerie Enid tour visits historic buildings and houses, providing and informative and entertaining glimpse of the people who shaped the cityís past. The Ghost Town Tour is an all-day adventure that begins in Enid and includes visits to once-thriving towns in Garfield County, as well as those in Alfalfa, Grant, and parts of Woods counties. Tammy is making sure the history and the spirit of northwest Oklahoma are not forgotten.

23. Greater Enid Chamber of Commerce
The Chamber leads several organizations to present the annual weekend commemorating Enidís past and celebrating its future. The Cherokee Strip Celebration showcases the cityís unique heritage that is connected to the largest land run in United States history which occurred on September 16, 1893. The eventís highlight is the Cherokee Strip Celebration Parade, then festivities continue on the square with live music, an old western gunfight, trick roping show, and more. We commend the Chamber for their leadership in preserving the communityís heritage and stimulating its economy through this special event.

24. Robert Klemme
Bob, who is an Enid resident, is Oklahomaís biggest advocate for preservation of the Chisholm Trail, and it is a pleasure to recognize his accomplishments this evening. Over the past twenty years, he has given countless programs for civic groups, bus and walking tours, and school classes across the state. One of his goals is to see Congress designate the route as a National Historic Trail. His dedication is best shown through his seven-year-long project to mark the trail from Red River Station, Texas, to Caldwell, Kansas. To accomplish this feat, he manufactured and installed 400 concrete posts, weighing approximately 200 pounds each, at each section line on the trailís path across present-day Oklahoma. Help us thank Bob for his work by joining the 150th anniversary celebration of the Chisholm Trail next year.

25. Railroad Museum of Oklahoma
The mission of the Railroad Museum of Oklahoma is to preserve and present the history of railroading in Enid, the state of Oklahoma, and the nation. With over one million pieces of railroad memorabilia, the museum represents one of the largest collections of railroad material in the United States. The museum is housed in the historic Santa Fe Freight Depot, built circa 1924. It is one of a few surviving freight depots designed in the Classical Revival style, rare for the Santa Fe Railroad. We appreciate the museumís efforts to preserve our transportation heritage and for sharing it with conference participants this week.

25. Main Street Bartlesville; Bartlesville Area History Museum; Bartlesville Chamber of Commerce; Bartlesville Visitors Bureau; Bartlesville Redevelopment Trust Authority; Washington County Historical Society; City of Bartlesville; and Price Tower Art Center
Tradition and Transition: Oklahomaís 27th Annual Statewide Preservation Conference was held June 3-5, 2015, in downtown Bartlesville. The SHPO appreciates its partnership with the local agencies and organizations that made the event a success. The local sponsors planned the tours, arranged for conference facilities and hotel accommodations, printed and mailed the save-the-date postcard and the registration brochure, managed registration, secured catering services, and completed the many other tasks necessary to provide an enjoyable experience for everyone. A few of Bartlesvilleís unique assets shared with the conference were the Price Tower, many of the cityís other outstanding examples of Modern architecture, and the Bartlesville Community Center. We know the Oklahoma Main Street Center and Preservation Oklahoma, Inc. join us in thanking these preservation partners.