HISTORIC PRESERVATION RESOURCE IDENTIFICATION
- Blumenson, John J.G. Identifying American Architecture. 2nd ed. Nashville: American Association for State and Local History, 1981. NOTE: This is one of the best sources for general commercial and residential buildings.
- Harris, Cyril, ed. Historic Architecture Sourcebook. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1977.
- McAlester, Virginia and Lee, A Field Guide to American Houses. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1984. NOTE: This is the number one recommended reference text for completion of identification forms for residential buildings.
- McKee, Harley J. Recording Historic Buildings. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1970.
- National Park Service. "Preservation Briefs #17: Architectural Character: Identifying the Visual Aspects of Historic Buildings as an Aid to Preserving Their Character."
- National Park Service. National Register Bulletin #24: Guidelines for Local Surveys: A Basis for Preservation Planning.
- Phillips, Steven J. Old-House Dictionary: An Illustrated Guide to American Domestic Architecture, 1600 to 1940. Lakewood, Colo.: American Source Books, 1989. Note: This is the best dictionary for domestic architecture.
- Poppeliers, John, S.A. Chambers and N.B. Schwartz. What Style Is It? Washington, D.C.: National Trust, 1977.
- Rifkind, Carole. A Field Guide to American Architecture. New York: New American Library, 1980.
- Whiffen, Marcus. American Architecture Since 1780: A Guide to the Styles. Cambridge: MIT Press, 1969.
- Whiffen, Marcus and Frederick Koeper. American Architecture 1607-1976. Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd., London, 1981; MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1981.
Back to Menu
Appendix: Illustrated Glossary