Home > Tour Home
List
Map

Route 66 Mobile Tour

Former location, Spraker Service Station

240 South Wilson, Vinita (Demolished after listing in the National Register of Historic Places)




The one-story brick Spraker Service Station was an excellent example of the Tudor Revival style service station built by the Continental Oil Company in the 1920s and 1930s for sale of its Conoco gasoline products. The station was historically significant for its association with Route 66 and as an example of how companies tried to attract the motoring public through a positive and recognizable image. The building had a steeply pitched side-gabled roof combined with a front-facing gable. Faced with both dark and light colored brick, the dark brick formed a three foot band around the lower half of the building; the light brick extended into the gable ends. Built about 1927, the station was virtually unchanged, with the exception of the garage door and window replacements, at the time of its listing in the National Register.