Home > Tour Home
List
Map

Route 66 Mobile Tour

Former location, Claremore Auto Dealership

625 West Will Rogers Boulevard, Claremore (Demolished after listing in the National Register of Historic Places)




Built about 1930, the Claremore Auto Dealership was a one story, L-shaped building designed in the Pueblo Deco style, a vernacular interpretation of Art Deco. It was located on a large corner lot on the west side of Claremore on U.S. 66. L-shaped commercial buildings were introduced in the late 1920s to accommodate parking for the growing number of automobiles. Initially, people parked their cars along the street or in alleys, but parking lots soon appeared as the number of automobiles increased. The L-shape allowed the business to front two commercial streets and/or incorporate parking lots into the design for their facilities. The Claremore Auto Dealership exhibited both of these design trends. Pueblo Deco features of the building included a stucco exterior, a diamond and ziggurat motif, a crenelated parapet, and clay tile. A canted entrance on the northwest corner provided the focal point of the building. The corners of the building were accentuated with stucco pilasters which rose above the parapet to create a crenelated appearance. Between the pilasters, along the parapet wall, was red clay tile roof coping. A decorative tile pattern ran the length of each bay and down the pilasters to the top of the windows, creating a rectangular pattern. Within each rectangle was a row of diamond shaped tiles.