Home > Tour Home
List
Map

Route 66 Mobile Tour

Phillips 66 Station #473

2224 East Admiral Boulevard, Tulsa




Constructed in 1929, in an era of small, independently owned, gas stations, this Phillips station was not the average business, and indeed represented new directions in commerce. It was part of a large chain of gas stations, a relatively new phenomenon in American business, and one that met with a mixed public reaction. Phillips Petroleum Company sought to generate service stations that would, by their very construction and design, convey an identity associated with its brand. The cottage style that Phillips adopted accomplished this goal. The station originally consisted of a simple tiny cottage with a front chimney. Then in 1941, a garage and service bay were added to the west elevation. The station is near the Whittier Square Historic District.