Home > Tour Home
List
Map

Route 66 Mobile Tour

Tank Farm Loop Route 66 Roadbed

Junction of State Highway 66 & Old Highway 66, .6 mile West of Interstate 44 Overpass, Bristow vicinity




The Route 66 roadbed segment known as the Tank Farm Loop was constructed in 1925. It begins at the junction of SH 66 and Old Highway 66, approximately six-tenths of a mile west of the Interstate 44 overpass. The Bristow-Sapulpa Road, which included the path of the Tank Farm Loop, was a product of the forces that brought about social and economic change in the area. With the Glenn Pool oil field boosting commerce in Creek County and with other discoveries in the Bristow vicinity, traffic rapidly increased on the road which was incorporated into the Ozark Trail system by 1915. In 1924, the Creek County Commissioners proposed that the State of Oklahoma pave this segment of the Ozark Trail, and the work was completed in 1925. The roadbed, constructed of Portland Cement, measures eighteen feet wide. At the time of its construction, the concrete was poured in fifty foot, ten-inch thick sections. When US 66 was designated in 1926, only twelve percent of Oklahoma roads were paved.