Home > Tour Home
List
Map

Route 66 Mobile Tour

Texaco Service Station

201 West 4th, Bristow




Built in 1923, on the northwest corner of Fourth and Elm Streets, the Texaco Service Station was substantially altered after its listing in the National Register of Historic Places. Originally, the station was a rectangular one-story L-shaped stucco building and was an excellent early example of a Moderne style "house with bays" service station. Characteristics of this design include the residential style station with a small office and restrooms, an extended canopy and two front-facing service bays, smooth stucco surface and projections above the roof line giving it a vertical appearance. A central feature of the Texaco Service Station was a streamline canopy supported by two steel columns and surrounded by three bands at the roof line. A stucco belt course composed of three raised red stripes defined the base of the parapet wall. The Moderne style became popular in the United States around 1920, and its application to this service station presented an up-to-date image for Texaco as it competed for local customers and those traveling the "Mother Road."