Home > Tour Home
List
Map

Route 66 Mobile Tour

Phillips 66 Station #1423

701 Manvel Avenue, Chandler




The Phillips 66 Station #1423 is a cottage style gas station opened in 1930 and is typical of the design that the Phillips Petroleum Company used during this time period. It mimics the Tudor Revival style architecture popular in the 1920s with its masonry, steeply pitched gabled roof, high chimneys, and tall windows. Petroleum companies adopted their own distinctive designs for their stations, just as many businesses do today. The combination of cottage and Tudor Revival was the most popular type for Phillips stations, and between 1928 and 1945, the company built over 300 like this one. The Chandler station is a striking visual symbol of the cultural, economic, and social impacts of Route 66 on local communities and the state.