Home > Tour Home
List
Map

Route 66 Mobile Tour

St. Cloud Hotel

1216 Manvel Avenue, Chandler




The St. Cloud Hotel is an excellent example of the early hotels that capitalized on the growing number of Route 66 travelers and salesmen in the mid-twentieth century. John E. Gormley, a grocer and lumberman purchased two Chandler lots in 1903 for $500 and built the hotel. A year later, he acquired two adjoining lots to the south and constructed a dining room and kitchen. The property became known as, "Gormley's Block." Originally, the hotel had a saloon named the Silver King Bar which operated until Oklahoma became a state in 1907. The new state constitution prohibited the sale of alcoholic beverages. By the time Route 66 was designated in 1926, the St. Cloud was well known as a salesman's hotel. As important as the dining and sleeping accommodations, was the special "sample room" for the display of new products. Salesmen even had their own separate dining room. The hotel is a two-story brick and sandstone building. The second story is covered with an ornate pressed tin facade with classical columns and rosettes and capped with a large pressed tin cornice. Take special notice of the restored ghost sign on the hotel's side elevation.