Home > Tour Home
List
Map

Route 66 Mobile Tour

Threatt Filling Station

Southwest corner, Junction of Highway 66 & Pottawatomie Road, Luther vicinity




The Threatt Filling Station is historically significant for its association with Route 66 and as an example of an African-American owned business on the highway during the era of segregation. The Threatts, an African-American family, came to the central part of present-day Oklahoma in the Land Run of 1889. Allen Threatt, Sr. and his family built the station in 1915, eleven years before the designation of US 66. The Threatt Filling Station is an example of a house type Bungalow/Craftsman style service station. The one-story building is constructed of native stone bound together by prominent beaded mortar joints. Four gables of equal size are formed by the moderately pitched, cross-gabled roof. The gable ends are sheathed with clapboard. The wide eaves of the side gables are supported by triangular knee braces. A brick chimney is positioned in the center of the rear gable of the roof. Two features of the station which remain from its Route 66 heyday, when the station was listed in the National Register, are the gasoline pumps from 1940 on a raised cement drive and a slightly tapered wooden pole located between the pumps, topped with an inverted open triangle and lights on either side. During the World War II era and into the 1950s, the lights illuminated a sign and the pumps.