Home > Tour Home
List
Map

Route 66 Mobile Tour

Jackson Conoco Service Station

301 South Choctaw (also known as 121 West Wade), El Reno




The Jackson Conoco Service Station, located on a corner where Route 66 makes a ninety degree turn, is a T-shaped single-story house-with-bays design. It was constructed in 1934 and added onto in 1964. The cottage style design and materials of the original building conform to the design favored by the Continental Oil Company in the 1930s. The style became synonymous with Conoco and served as their advertising logo. The Jackson Conoco Service Station's original office section, on the north, is ten feet wide on the western elevation and eight feet on the north elevation with a steep pitched gable on the north. Next to the office, on the south, is a section that is slightly larger on each elevation giving the building its t-shape. A distinguishing feature of Conoco stations of this vintage is the decorative corbelling at the corners to support the eaves as they project beyond the elevation. As with other Route 66 service stations, business boomed for this one until Interstate 40 bypassed El Reno to the south.