Home > Tour Home
List
Map

Route 66 Mobile Tour

Avant's Cities Service Station

220 South Choctaw, El Reno




Constructed on Route 66 in 1933, shortly after the last stretch of the highway between Oklahoma City and El Reno was paved, the Avant's Cities Service Station was designed in the Art Deco Style preferred by the chain. Increased business from traffic along Route 66 resulted in the expansion of the original station into a multi-bay facility. A single story building with a parapet and flat roof, the front elevation of the station is a generally long continuous plane segmented only by pilasters. The building is actually irregular in shape on its other elevations. Cities Service Oil Company leased the site of the old Campbell Hotel and built the service station. The building initially consisted of the two southern-most sections, which formed an L-shaped unit with the office on the south and the service bay on the north, these two are defined and separated from the remainder of the building by a rounded curb on the east. Two bays were eventually added on the north. Stations like the Avant's Cities Service Station were highly successful businesses until Interstate 40 opened.