Home > Tour Home
List
Map

Route 66 Mobile Tour

Provine Service Station, also known as Lucille's

.5 mile East of Junction of Interstate-40 & State Highway 58, Hydro vicinity




Constructed in 1929, the Provine Service Station is one of the most famous landmarks on Route 66 through Oklahoma. This small two-story building is a vernacular interpretation of the Bungalow/Craftsman architectural style popular in the 1920s. The first story functioned as the service station, while the second story was the living quarters for the Ditmore family, the first owners. Not only did the station provide a convenient stop for gasoline, but tourist cabins were also available during the 1930s. Perhaps the station is best known for a subsequent owner, Lucille Hamons, and most everyone knows the station today as Lucille's. She was one of the people who gave the "Mother Road" its special character. She served as an enthusiastic Route 66 promoter until her death. She is buried in a local cemetery, and her tombstone was appropriately cut in the shape of the Route 66 shield.