Home > Tour Home
List
Map

Route 66 Mobile Tour

Casa Grande Hotel

103 East 3rd, Elk City




Situated on a prominent corner in downtown Elk City, the hotel is a four-story, Spanish Eclectic style building. Built in 1928, by E. M. Woody, a long-time hotel owner from Bristow, Oklahoma, the Casa Grande Hotel was designed by the noted Oklahoma City architectural firm of Hawk and Parr. Constructed of buff brick, the exterior architectural detailing includes arched windows and a double-door arched entry. A decorative Bedford stone surround with ornamental carved shields and outlined in a rope design, frames the arch of the side entry doors. A small central window, with a segmental-arched lintel and an ornate wrought iron ballconet, is set within the Bedford stone. The architectural style was at the height of its popularity during the 1920s and early 1930s and was especially fashionable along the southern portion of Route 66 as it reflected the heritage of the American Southwest. It was the largest hotel on the route between Oklahoma City and Amarillo and represents the high-water mark of first-class hotels along the highway when small communities catered to the well-to-do traveler. But, such elegant buildings were soon replaced by the more homogenous tourist court and motel.