Home > Tour Home
List
Map

Route 66 Mobile Tour

West Winds Motel

623 Roger Miller, Erick




Built shortly after World War II, the West Winds Motel was a tourist court located five blocks west of Erick's main downtown intersection on Route 66 where it conveniently served the tremendous volume of traffic on the highway. The motel is an excellent example of the Mission Revival style of architecture with stucco walls and a red tile-shaped metal Mansard roof with flat peaks that rise in steps above each unit. The West Winds Motel consists of two buildings and a once-flashing neon sign with the motel name beneath a bucking bronco. At the end of World War II, the Erick Chamber of Commerce printed a circular to promote development in the town, proclaiming that "Erick is not a war spoiled town or just another boom town, but a town with a half century of service." The role of U.S. Route 66 in the local economy is clear. At the time, the community had four tourist courts, two hotels, three auto supply stores, dealers for Ford and Chevrolet automobiles, seven auto repair shops, and nine filling stations. In the spring of 1946, Jack Rittenhouse noted in his guide book to Route 66, that when travelers passed through the north part of town, the main street - named Broadway - was lined with service stations, cafes, and motels to serve the burgeoning traffic on Route 66.