Fort Gibson907 N. Garrison
Fort Gibson, OK 74434
Director: David Fowler
Staff: Omar Reed, Rory Montgomery, Rick Cragg, Correy Twilley
|Tue- Sat||10am to 5pm|
Fort Gibson Historic Site
Established in 1824, Fort Gibson served as a starting point for several military expeditions that explored the west and sought peace between the tribes in the region. It was occupied through most of the Indian Removal period then abandoned in 1857. The post was reactivated during the Civil War. The army stayed through the Reconstruction and Indian Wars periods, combating the problem of outlaws and squatters. In 1890, the army abandoned Fort Gibson for the last time.
Visitors to the site can see a reconstruction of the early log fort as well as original buildings from the 1840s through 1870s. Exhibits detailing the history of the fort are located in the Commissary Visitor Center on Garrison Hill. The site also hosts a number of special living history events and programs throughout the year. Fort Gibson is a National Historic Landmark.
Visit the Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History & Culture to find out more about Fort Gibson.
Operating support is generously provided by the Cherokee Nation.