Fort Washita3348 State Road 199
Durant, OK 74701
Site Manager: Jim Argo
Historic Interpreter: Ron Petty
|Tuesday–Saturday||9 am to 4:30 pm|
|Sunday||1 pm to 4:30 pm|
Use of drones over Oklahoma Historical Society property is not permitted without written approval of the facility director.
Fort Washita Historic Site
About Fort Washita
Fort Washita was established in 1842 in the Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory, as the southwestern-most military post of the United States. The mission of the soldiers was to protect the recently immigrated Choctaw and Chickasaw Indians. The Southern Plains Indians to the west and non-Indian intruders posed threats to the peace and stability of the region. Troops stationed at Fort Washita on a rotational basis during the 1840s included men belonging to companies from the 2nd Dragoons, US Regiment of Riflemen, and the 6th, 7th, and 5th Infantry Regiments. In the 1850s, soldiers from one battery each of the 2nd and 3rd Artillery were at the fort on frontier duty. From 1858 to the beginning of the Civil War in 1861, elements of the 1st Cavalry and 7th Infantry garrisoned the post.
On May 1, 1861, the fort was abandoned by US forces and occupied the next day by Confederate troops from Texas. Southern soldiers used the post as a headquarters during the remainder of the Civil War. After the war the Chickasaw Nation received the old post grounds and buildings from the federal government. The Colbert family, prominent Chickasaws, owned the property until it was acquired in 1962 by the Oklahoma Historical Society. The site is on the National Register of Historic Places and designated as a National Historic Landmark.
Visit the Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History & Culture to find out more about Fort Washita.
Fort Washita Barracks Destroyed by Fire
In the early morning hours of Sunday, September 26, 2010, the South Barracks at Fort Washita Historic Site burned. The building and its contents were a total loss. The South Barracks were a reconstruction of an original 1849 post building. The furnished barracks served as the main interpretation setting for the historic site.