Home > sites > Military Sites > Fort Supply >  Timeline

Fort Supply Timeline

11/18/1868
Camp Supply established near the confluence of the Beaver River and Wolf Creek in northwest Indian Territory.
11/23/1868
Lt. Col. George Custer's 7th Cavalry depart Camp Supply for the Battle of the Washita.
12/07/1868
Gen. Sheridan, Custer and troops depart Camp Supply to continue the Winter Campaign of 1868-69.
3/28/1869
Custer and the 7th Cavalry with captive Indian chiefs return to Camp Supply at the close of the campaign.
1869-1870
Camp Supply is temporary Cheyenne and Arapaho Agency.
6/11/1870
Troops repulse attack by Satanta's Kiowas and Comanches, Battle of Camp Supply.
1874-1875
Camp Supply is the primary supply base for Gen. Nelson Miles' troops during the Red River War.
12/30/1878
Camp Supply officially named Fort Supply by Gen. Order No. 9.
5/5/1879
Fort Supply soldiers ordered to expel Boomers illegally entering the Cherokee Outlet.
4/27/1889
Fort Supply troops assist with the opening of the Unassigned Lands, "Run of '89."
9/16/1893
Troops patrol borders at the opening of the Cherokee Outlet, "Run of '93."
9/15/1894
General Order No. 45, Headquarters of the Army, closes Fort Supply.
2/26/1895
Fort Supply placed in custody of the Department of Interior.
5/20/1908
Oklahoma's first insane asylum, now Western State Psychiatric Center, occupies the old post.
7/01/1988
Oklahoma State Legislature, SB No. 403, designates Fort Supply Historic District.
12/06/1988
William S. Key Correctional Center dedicated at Historic Fort Supply.