Home > sites >  Marker Search Results

Historical Markers

Baptist Mission
Adair County
The present-day white frame building contains some of the original timbers of the log church built in 1839. Reverend James Bushyhead, the first supreme court judge of the Cherokee Nation, established the mission which the Cherokees called Bread Town. The Cherokee Messenger, a religious publication, was printed at the mission beginning in 1844. Bacone College at Muskogee is an outgrowth of the school begun at Baptist Mission.
Located junction of US H62 and SH59, 1/2 mile west of Westville

Fairfield Mission
Adair County
The mission building, completed in 1829 by Dr. Marcus Palmer, a missionary to the Cherokees, stood in a grove of large trees a few hundred feet east of the cemetery now known as McLemore Cemetery. Noted missionaries and teachers at the mission included Elizur Butler, Charles C. Torrey, Clarissa Palmer, Lucy Butler, and Esther Smith. A circulation library, possibly the state's first, was established at the mission in 1832.
Located at junction of OK-100 and US-59 on south edge of Stilwell

Fort Wayne
Adair County
Established in 1839, the army fort was named in honor of General "Mad" Anthony Wayne. The fort was abandoned in May 1842. During the Civil War, in July 1861, Colonel Stand Watie used the fort as a Confederate post and organized the Cherokee Mounted Rifles. The fort was captured by Union forces in the Battle of Fort Wayne on October 22, 1862.
Located on US-59 on south edge of Watts

Robert Rogers
Adair County
Robert Rogers, father of Clem Vann Rogers and grandfather of Will Rogers, was born in Georgia on July 16, 1815. He and his wife, Sally Vann, moved to Indian Territory before the removal of the Five Tribes from the southeastern United States. Robert Rogers was a signer of the removal Treaty of New Echota. He died on July 4, 1842.
Located three miles north of the junction of US-59 and OK-62

Starr Springs
Adair County
Starr Springs was the head of Sallisaw Creek, a source of water for Stilwell since 1910. The area was the site of the 1853 murder of Andrew Adair and his son, George W. Adair, because of their support for Cherokee removal. The spring was named for George Harlan Starr, a prominent Cherokee, who purchased the site in 1867. The marker is a tribute to D.M. "Mack" Starr, respected and knowledgeable Cherokee historian, who died in 1995.
Located at junction of OK-100 and US-59 on south edge of Stilwell

(Page 1 of 1)



Search by Marker Name






Browse by County

Le Flore County
Lincoln County
Logan County
Love County
Major County
Marshall County
Mayes County
McClain County
McCurtain County
McIntosh County
Murray County
Muskogee County
Noble County
Nowata County
Okfuskee County
Oklahoma County
Okmulgee County
Osage County
Ottawa County
Pawnee County
Payne County
Pittsburg County
Pontotoc County
Pottawatomie County
Pushmataha County
Roger Mills County
Rogers County
Seminole County
Sequoyah County
Stephens County
Texas County
Tillman County
Tulsa County
Wagoner County
Washington County
Washita County
Woods County
Woodward County