Black Beaver, Delaware Indian frontier scout, served as the interpreter for the US Dragoon Expedition to the Plains Indians in 1834. He was awarded the rank of captain and helped guide expeditions to the Far West, including Captain Randolph Marcy's trip to the gold fields in California in 1849. Black Beaver was buried near his home northwest of Anadarko. In 1975, the Delaware tribe reinterred his body on the Fort Sill Military Reservation.
Located on US-62 in National Hall of Fame for Famous American Indians in Anadarko
Britton School was established in 1911 and originally known as Science Hill. Its name was changed to Britton School in honor of a pioneer family. A church located at the same site served as a grade school.
Located two miles east of Binger
Noted for the purity of its waters which come from adjacent sand dune areas, Caddo Springs, sometimes called Concho Springs, was a favored spot on the Chisholm Trail. Cheyenne and Arapaho people alike shared the springs as did the Arapahoe School, later named Concho Indian School, built in 1870. The springs were named for the earliest known Oklahoma inhabitants, the Caddo Indians.
Located along highway in front of Concho Indian School, Concho
Camp Comanche was set up near a large Comanche village by the First Dragoons under Colonel Henry Dodge on July 16, 1834, while enroute from Fort Gibson to Plains tribes. Seventy-five Dragoons and noted artist George Catlin were too ill to travel farther with the expedition. The camp was evacuated July 28, upon Dodge's return from peace councils with the Plains Indians.
Located on US Highway 62, near boundary line of Caddo and Comanche Counties
Established October 1, 1859, Fort Cobb was manned by Federal troops to allay fears of raids by Plains Indians on Choctaws, Chickasaws, and white settlers moving West. Four companies of infantry were garrisoned at the fort until it was evacuated in May of 1861. During the Civil War, the fort was occupied by Confederate soldiers. After the Battle of the Washita (1868), Fort Cobb was headquarters of General W.B. Hazen, special Indian agent, General Philip H. Sheridan, and Colonel George Armstrong Custer. The US Army abandoned the post in March of 1869.
Located on OK-9 in Fort Cobb
Established by Alfred J. Standing on September 23, 1871, east of Fort Cobb on the Washita River, the Riverside Indian School became a highly successful boarding school for Wichita and Caddo children. Fire destroyed the original building in 1878, but the school was rebuilt nearby. It is one of the oldest Indian schools in continuous operation in the nation.
Located on US 281, near entrance to Riverside School north of Anadarko
In 1849, Captain Randolph Marcy and his party camped nearby on their way to the gold fields in California. Several of Marcy's junior officers were enamored with a 17-year-old maiden, Mary Conway, a cousin of President James Madison. To seek her favor, the men raced to the crest of the nearby hill. Lieutenant J.H. Simpson planted an American flag and named the hill "Rock Mary" in her honor. They became engaged, but Simpson was killed by an outlaw party before they could marry.
Located on US-281, one mile south of Hinton
Rock Springs Baptist Church
Rock Springs was the first Baptist church established among the Plains Indians. The church was organized in 1874 by John McIntosh, a Creek Indian who was the first known Baptist missionary to the Plains tribes.
Located on OK-8, three miles north of Anadarko (OBHC)
Exploring parties saw these natural mounds and named them for Major Enoch Steen of the First Dragoon Regiment who commanded an escort on a road survey to California in 1858. The easternmost of the mounds is named Rock Mary.
Located on OK-66 west of junction with US-281
The American Flag
Lieutenants M.P. Harrison and J.H. Simpson unfurled the Stars and Stripes on top of Rock Mary on May 23, 1849. See Rock Mary.
Located on top of Rock Mary southwest of Hinton
From 1923 to 1955, area students were educated in a two-story red brick building. A gray stone gymnasium, built by the Works Progress Administration during the Great Depression, was home to the Washita Eagles but was torn down in 1996.
Located three miles west of OK-9 near Fort Cobb
This first Indian agency opened by the federal government in western Oklahoma began operations in 1859 on the site of an abandoned Kichai village. Agents controlled relations with the Wichitas and exiled tribes from Texas, including Caddo, Anadarko, Tawakoni, Waco, and Ionie. Federal Indian forces attacked the agency on the night of October 23, 1862, before the federal troops all but exterminated the Confederate Tonkawa tribe in a bloody massacre nearby. The attacks closed the work of the agency until after the Civil War when it was moved to Anadarko.
Located on US-62, eight miles west of Anadarko
Search by Marker Name
Browse by County
Roger Mills County