Home > sites >  Marker Search Results

Historical Markers

Walters
Cotton County
Founded at the opening of Kiowa-Comanche-Apache lands, the original townsite of Walters was in Comanche County, SW 1/4, T-2-S, R-11-W. Its original name, McKnight, was rejected because another post office had that name. The name Walters was then chosen in honor of City Commissioner W. R. Walter in September 1901. The Town of Walters incorporated in December 1902, but the post office and depot used "Walter" until an Act of Congress in June 1917 made "Walters" official.
GPS:
Located on Hwy 5, west of Expo Building in Walterson

(Page 1 of 1)



Search by Marker Name






Browse by County

Le Flore County
Lincoln County
Logan County
Love County
Major County
Marshall County
Mayes County
McClain County
McCurtain County
McIntosh County
Murray County
Muskogee County
Noble County
Nowata County
Okfuskee County
Oklahoma County
Okmulgee County
Osage County
Ottawa County
Pawnee County
Payne County
Pittsburg County
Pontotoc County
Pottawatomie County
Pushmataha County
Roger Mills County
Rogers County
Seminole County
Sequoyah County
Stephens County
Texas County
Tillman County
Tulsa County
Wagoner County
Washington County
Washita County
Woods County
Woodward County