Chief Sapulpa Cemetery
Chief Sapulpa Cemetery, one block south of the marker, is named for a full-blood Creek Indian named "Chief" Sapulpa, although he was not a chief. He owned an early trading post and was a Confederate officer in the Civil War. His real name was Sepulcher but over time the name became corrupted to Sapulpa. The local DAR chapter purchased the burial ground in 1923.
Located on East Taft Avenue near South Division Street in Sapulpa (DAR)
Located approximately 3.3 miles west is a cave where, according to the 1930s WPA Guide to Oklahoma, Creek Indian Tom Bartee sheltered and fed the Daltons when they were pursued by deputy US marshals.
Located on corner of Coonrod Drive and SH-51, Mannford
In 1891, the Presbyterian Mission Board established a school for the children of the Euchee Indians in the area. The school opened with fifty students in 1894 and was located one mile east of Sapulpa . Euchee and Methodist minister Noah Gregory was the first superintendent of the school. The school closed in 1947, and the land and buildings were sold to the local public school district.
Located on grounds of Sapulpa Junior High School at Lee Avenue and Mission Street
Jackson Barnett #11 Oil Well
The Jackson Barnett #11 oil well was the first oil well in the world to produce one million barrels of oil in a one year period. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Located two miles southeast of Drumright
Original Townsite of Mannford
The original townsite of Mannford began 1/4 mile east of the creek headrights of Tom and Hazel Mann. The town was named for Mann's Ford across the Cimarron River in 1895. G. M. Evans leased this ninety acres and surrounding land. The Arkansas Valley and Western Railway (AV&W RR/Frisco) came in 1902, and a post office was established on April 11, 1903. Hall C. Miller bought the ninety acres for the townsite on February 21, 1906. The townsite was relocated in 1962–63 due to the Keystone Dam.
Located east site of SH-48, north the 48/51 junction at the turnoff into old Mannford Ramp Park
Twin Mounds Cemetery
Twin Mounds Cemetery was named for the prominent landmark 3/4 mile northeast of where the town of Twin Mounds sat. The town was moved to a new place in 1903 as the railroad bypassed the first site. William Gilcrease ran the store in Posey, and Tom Gilcrease's allotment was nearby.
Located one mile west and 1/2 mile north of Intersection of US-75 and 171st Street on Tulsa/Creek County Road.
Twin Mounds Community
This was the first cemetery in the area. Twin Mounds, first called Posey for Creek poet Alex Posey, sat 3/4 mile northeast between mounds used as landmarks. The town moved to Mounds in 1903 when the railroad bypassed it. William Gilcrease owned the store in Posey; Thomas Gilcrease's allotment was 1/4 mile north. Glenn Pool oil find of 1905 started the boom.
Located one mile west and 1/2 mile north of intersection of US-75 and 171st Street on Tulsa/Creek County Road.
Search by Marker Name
Browse by County
Roger Mills County