Battle of the Wichita Village
Four companies of the 2nd Cavalry, under the command of Major Earl Van Dorn, attacked a Comanche band near a Wichita village here on October 1, 1858, even though the Indians were on their way from a friendly council at Fort Arbuckle. Seventy Indians were killed, all because of poor communication. Pikey's Crossing was also an entry site for the Land Run of April 22, 1889.
Located on US-81 on north edge of Rush Springs
An Indian Territory trading post was established by Colonel Frank Fred in the 1870s, and it was thecrossroads of the Chisholm Trail and the Fort Cobb stage road. The post office was established in 1884 and a Methodist Church was established in 1889.
Located two miles east on Hwy 19, and 1/8 mile south of Hwy 81 & 19 junction, south of Chickasha
Norge, formerly Allie, is located on the 98th meridian, separating the old Chickasaw Nation to the east and the Kiowa, Comanch,e and Apache Reserve to the west. The town received its name from a Norwegian settlement in the area. Situated on a high plain not far from the Keechi Hills, Norge is four miles southwest of Chickasha.
Located on Highway 92, Norge, where the 98th meridian intersects the highway
Run of '89 South Boundary
The South Canadian River was the south boundary line of the Unassigned Lands in central Oklahoma which was opened to settlement on April 22, 1889, in the first of five land runs in Oklahoma.
Located on OK-37 east of Cimarron Road in Tuttle
Silver City Trading Post
See Chisholm Trail
Located at intersection of OK-37 and Cimarron Road in Tuttle (DAR)
Located five miles west of Verden on Hwy 62, north one mile to road end at "T", then west 1/2 mile to drive leading south across cattle guard and ending in Parrish yard
Search by Marker Name
Browse by County
Roger Mills County