Home > sites >  Marker Search Results

Historical Markers

Baker's Ranch
Kingfisher County
At this well-known ranch station along the Chisholm Trail, residents were attacked in the last Indian wars, and the station was found deserted on July 5, 1874. In 1890, the site was laid out for a town but is now a ghost town. See Chisholm Trail.
Located the west side of  US-81, four miles south of Hennessey

Big Four School
Kingfisher County
Big Four School, located three miles north, was formed on March 17, 1920, by a special election vote to consolidate the districts of White Cap, Twilight, Wandell, and Bird Creek. The school graduated its first senior class in 1924; its last in 1968. It continued as a grade school until closing in May 1978.
Located east of Kingfisher on State Hwy 33 on SE corner of SE 1/4 of 14-16-6

Bull Foot Station
Kingfisher County
Bull Foot Station on the Chisholm Trail was famous for its water well and was so named because of a huge indentation in the ground resembling the imprint of a bull's foot. The station was a welcome watering spot for both men and animals. See Chisholm Trail.
Located west of US-81 in Bull Foot Park, Hennessey

Chisholm Trail
Kingfisher County
A pioneer merchant, trader, and explorer, Jesse Chisholm, a mix-blood Cherokee, established a trail through western Indian Territory before the Civil War. Texas cattlemen used the trail until the late 1880s to move millions of cattle to northern markets. The trail ran from Montague County, Texas, to Abilene, Kansas.
Located on US-81 at north edge of Dover

First Rural Mail Route
Kingfisher County
The first rural mail route in Oklahoma was established at Hennessey on August 15, 1900. The carrier, Albert W. Darrow, was paid $500 a year. The 24-mile route served 700 residents.
Located on US-81 in Memorial Park in Hennessey

Kingfisher
Kingfisher County
The name of the present city and the county of Kingfisher is that of King Fisher, white owner of the Kingfisher Stage Station on the Chisholm Trail in early 1870s. Deep, narrow ruts along the Old Chisholm Trail in this vicinity, overgrown with prairie grass, caused wrecked vehicles and broken legs of horses ridden in the Run of 1889. The west boundary of "Old Oklahoma" is about two miles west of the marker.
Located on US-81, present grounds of the post office in Kingfisher

Kingfisher College
Kingfisher County
The Congregationalists founded the Kingfisher College in 1890. When the school closed in 1922, its endowment was transferred to the University of Oklahoma to fund the Kingfisher Chair of Religion and Ethics.
Located on OK-33 on east side of Kingfisher

Kingfisher Stage Station
Kingfisher County
This stage stop on the old Chisholm Trail from 1867 to 1889 and the town were named for King Fisher, owner of the station. See Chisholm Trail.
Located on OK-33, one mile west of Kingfisher

Kingfisher-US Land Office
Kingfisher County
From a land office at this location, the federal government prescribed rules and regulations governing the opening of the Unassigned Lands in central Oklahoma on April 22, 1889. The office also registered claims for the April 19, 1892, opening of Cheyenne and Arapaho lands.
Located on US-81 on grounds of Kingfisher post office

Lacey
Kingfisher County
The town of Lacey was named for Congressman John F. Lacey of Iowa, chairman of the House Public Lands Committee, who crafted much of the legislation that allowed the opening of lands in Oklahoma to public settlement.
Located on OK-51, ten miles west of Hennessey at the bridge

Massacre of Pat Hennessey
Kingfisher County
Freighter Pat Hennessey and three drivers were killed in an ambush here on their way to the Kiowa Agency on July 4, 1874. The killings were blamed on Cheyenne and Osage Indians, although some believe white horse thieves and cattle rustlers killed the men.
Located on US-81 in Memorial Park in Hennessey

Oklahoma Historical Society Birthplace
Kingfisher County
The Oklahoma Press Association founded the Oklahoma Historical Society (OHS) at its convention in Kingfisher on May 27, 1893. The purpose of the new organization was to preserve files on all publications of Oklahoma and Indian territories and documents relating to the history of the region. The OHS headquarters remained in Kingfisher until 1895 when it was moved to Norman. The OHS moved to Oklahoma City in 1901.
Located on grounds of county courthouse at Kingfisher

Red Fork Ranch 1872–1889
Kingfisher County
On this site once stood the trading post known as the Red Fork Ranch. The original ranch building was constructed in 1872 by the Lee and Reynolds Company. Over the following years, the ranch was operated by a number of different individuals, the last being John G. Chapin, who was operating the ranch when the Unassigned Lands were opened on April 22, 1889. Chapin formally claimed the homestead which included the townsite of Dover and which was platted by him in 1892. John Chapin could well be characterized as "the father of Dover".
Located at Hwy-81 and Red Ford Drive, Dover

Red Fork Station
Kingfisher County
The stage station and supply depot was an important shipping point for cattle moving up to the Chisholm Trail. Soldiers from Fort Sill fortified Red Fork during the Cheyenne and Arapaho uprising in 1874. The station was named for the first name of the Cimarron River-Red Fork of the Arkansas. See Chisholm Trail.
Located on US-81 in Dover

Roy V. Cashion
Kingfisher County
Roy Cashion was the first soldier from Oklahoma Territory killed in the Spanish-American War. As a member of Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders, Cashion died as he charged over San Juan Hill on July 1, 1898.
Located on US-81 in Memorial Park in Hennessey

Run of '89 North Boundary
Kingfisher County
Located on US-81, three miles north of Hennessey on Garfield-Kingfisher County line

Run of '89 West Boundary
Kingfisher County
The north-south line marked the west boundary of the two million acres of the Unassigned Lands settled by land run on April 22, 1889.
Located on OK-51, three miles west of Lacey

Run of '92
Kingfisher County
The Cheyenne-Arapaho lands were opened to public settlement on April 19, 1892, by land run. The east boundary of the area was longitude 98 degrees west at this location.
Located on OK-33, two miles west of intersection with US-81

Run of '93 South Boundary
Kingfisher County
This site marks the east-west boundary line between the Unassigned Lands, opened on April 22, 1889, and the Cherokee Outlet, opened on September 16, 1893.
Located on US-81, three miles north of Hennessey on Garfield-Kingfisher County line

Rural Electrification
Kingfisher County
Consumers Rural Electric Company was formed on December 23, 1936, and established the first rural electric cooperative in Oklahoma (later known as Cimarron Electric Cooperative). On Christmas Eve of 1937, the first home in Oklahoma to receive power from a rural electric cooperative was that of Earl Harrison.
Located on US-81, one mile north of Kingfisher

Sheridan
Kingfisher County
At the opening of the Unassigned Lands to homesteaders on April 22, 1889, a quarter-section in the Skeleton Township was reserved for a townsite named in honor of Lieutenant General Philip H. Sheridan. The town flourished until 1902 when Marshall became the rail center of the area.
Located on OK-51, ten miles north of Hennessey

Unassigned Lands
Kingfisher County
Located 3 1/2 miles north of Hennessey on the east side of US-81

(Page 1 of 1)



Search by Marker Name






Browse by County

Le Flore County
Lincoln County
Logan County
Love County
Major County
Marshall County
Mayes County
McClain County
McCurtain County
McIntosh County
Murray County
Muskogee County
Noble County
Nowata County
Okfuskee County
Oklahoma County
Okmulgee County
Osage County
Ottawa County
Pawnee County
Payne County
Pittsburg County
Pontotoc County
Pottawatomie County
Pushmataha County
Roger Mills County
Rogers County
Seminole County
Sequoyah County
Stephens County
Texas County
Tillman County
Tulsa County
Wagoner County
Washington County
Washita County
Woods County
Woodward County