Bernard de La Harpe 1719
The French explorer Bernard de La Harpe came north from Louisiana seeking trade with the Wichita Indians. He camped three miles east of Hartshorne on August 25, 1719, on his way north to the Canadian River and Wichita villages.
Located on US-270, five miles east of Hartshorne
CCC-Robbers Cave State Park
Members of the Civilian Conservation Corps constructed Robbers Cave State Park in the 1930s on land donated by State Representative Carlton Weaver, who is buried in the main park circle. Carlton Lake is named for him.
Located in Robbers Cave State Park
In 1857, Congress created the Butterfield Overland Mail Route to carry mail and passengers between St. Louis, Missouri, and Memphis, Tennessee, and points west. It was the first real transcontinental link between the Atlantic states and the Pacific Coast of the United States. There were twelve stations along a 197-mile route in Oklahoma, including Edwards Store, the log home of Thomas Edwards. The first Red Oak post office was opened here on March 11, 1868, with Edwards as postmaster.
Located seven miles northeast of Red Oak
Holloway's Station was a stage stand along the Butterfield Overland Mail Route at the "Narrows." See Edwards Store.
Located three miles northeast of Red Oak
Kiamichi Baptist Assembly
The Kiamichi Baptist Assembly campground was established in July 1941.
Located three miles north of Talihina at campground (OBHC)
Old Ft. Smith-Boggy Depot Road. A stage stand for changing horses and a toll road over this mountain pass were established here in 1866 under Choctaw law. This road was the Butterfield Overland Mail route in 1858–61.
Located about thirteen miles southwest of Wilburton, Latimer County, at top of Blue Mountain on the county road, west side from gate to Mountain Station Cemetery
Pusley's Station was a stop on the Butterfield Overland Mail Route south of Gaines Creek. See Edwards Store.
Located southwest of Higgins
Riddle's Station was a stop on the Butterfield Overland Mail Route east of Wilburton at the community of Lutie. See Edwards Store.
Located on county road at Old Riddle Cemetery
Trahern's Station was a stop on the Butterfield Overland Mail Route west of Shady Point at the community of Latham. See Edwards Store.
Located at Latham, eight miles west of Shady Point
Search by Marker Name
Browse by County
Roger Mills County