Birthplace of the State of Oklahoma
The first convention advocating the combining of Oklahoma and Indian territories into a single state was held at Purcell on September 13, 1893. Delegates to the convention sent their resolution to Congress, but no action was taken. Oklahoma was admitted to the Union fourteen years later.
Located in downtown Purcell
Caravans of gold seekers in the rush for California traveled this trail in spring 1849 under a military escort commanded by Captain R. B. Marcy. The route lay west from Fort Smith on the south side of the Arkansas and Canadian rivers across Oklahoma. The campground and spring, 3 miles west, was well known on this famous trail.
Located on US Highway 77 just south of Wayne
Camp Arbuckle was established in May 1850 by Captain R. B. Marcy and Company D, 5th Infantry, the site was visited in 1849 by Marcy while escorting gold seekers to California. The post was moved in 1851 to a permanent site in Garvin County. Buildings then were occupied by Delawares under Black Beaver, famous chief and guide. An Indian town, known as Beaversville, existed there until Civil War days.
Located on SH 59, one mile west of Byars
James C. Nance Bridge
James C. Nance was a member of the Oklahoma legislature and Purcell newspaper publisher.
Located on US-77 between Purcell and Lexington
Search by Marker Name
Browse by County
Roger Mills County