This former capitol of the Creek Nation was constructed in 1878. Indian Territory tribal delegates met on this site in 1870 to draft the Okmulgee Constitution. Though never adopted or approved, the document called for the organization of Indian Territory under one government.
Located on city square in Okmulgee
The Creek Council House, now a museum, occupies an entire city block in downtown Okmulgee. An original building was erected in 1868 but was razed for construction of the present structure in 1878. See Creek Capitol.
Located inside north door of Creek Capitol (DAR)
This is one of thirteen All-Black towns, out of more than fifty that once existed, remaining in Oklahoma. While Tullahassee is reportedly the oldest, most were established between 1889 and 1907 as blacks sought security and control of their own destiny in a segregated world. Most of the towns began to decline in the 1920s and 1930s as rural blacks faced economic hardships and began to move to urban areas.
Located in community of Grayson
Through the efforts of educator Alice Robertson, who also served as Oklahoma's only female member of Congress, the mission was established by the Presbyterian Board and the Creek Nation in 1882. Robertson also founded Henry Kendall College which became the University of Tulsa.
Located on OK-56, nine miles west of Okmulgee
Samuel Checote was the first elected Creek chief after the Civil War and spent much of his life serving as a Methodist minister. Checote was a lieutenant colonel in the Confederate Army.
Located on OK-56 on grounds of Creek Council House Square in Okmulgee
Search by Marker Name
Browse by County
Roger Mills County