No Man's Land Museum
Cimarron Territory, or No Man's Land, has a unique history. For a period of time the region was not attached to any state or territory, and one attempt was made to have the area admitted as a separate territory. This museum illustrates the vivid history of the early pioneers of the Oklahoma Panhandle and the High Plains region.
Located at Panhandle State College in Goodwell
The town of Old Buffalo was an important business and social center of "Cimarron Territory," now the Oklahoma Panhandle. The first post office in No Man's Land was established here on March 8, 1888.
Located on US-54, 4 1/2 miles northeast of Optima
Old Hardesty was a trading post established in No Man's Land in 1886. It was named for Colonel Jack Hardesty, a local prominent rancher. Old Hardesty flourished while trail herds crossed the area but faded away when the Rock Island Railroad bypassed the community.
Located on OK-3 on west edge of Hardesty
Original No Man's Land
Following admission to the Union in 1846, the state of Texas, as a slave state, ceded the "Public Land Strip" to the United States to comply with the Missouri Compromise of 1850, which forbade slavery north of 36° 30'. The area remained unorganized but was promoted as Cimarron Territory in the 1880s with some attempts to establish a government. No Man's Land became part of Oklahoma Territory on May 2, 1890.
Located on US-54 at Texas border near Texhoma
Baptist work in the Oklahoma Panhandle began with the founding of Pleasant View Baptist Church with eight members on August 5, 1894.
Located in Tyrone on grounds of First Baptist Church (OBHC)
Post Office at Loretta
Texhoma was originally called Loretta, for Loretta Cain, the first postmaster. The town's name was changed in 1902.
Located on US-54 on east side of Texhoma
During the heyday of cattle drives through the Panhandle of Oklahoma, this well served as a watering place. Thousands of head of cattle were driven here to await shipment to northern markets.
Located at junction of US-54 and county road at southeast edge of Tyrone
Search by Marker Name
Browse by County
Roger Mills County