In 1870, Nelson F. Carr built a gristmill on the Caney River. A few years later, Jacob Bartles bought the mill and added a flourmill. The mills were the first commercial enterprises in what became the city of Bartlesville.
Located at north edge of Bartlesville
Frank Phillips Home
Phillips Petroleum Company founder Frank Phillips built the Greek Revival home in 1908.
Located at 1107 South Cherokee in Bartlesville
May Brothers was established in Bartlesville in 1910 in this building by H. M. May and his five sons: Ben, Max, Harry, Paul and Jacob. It is the oldest retail store in Oklahoma operated continuously by the same family.
Located north of Washita River, four miles east of Fort Cobb
Oklahoma's First Commercial Oil Well
Nellie Johnstone No. 1, the first commercial oil well in Indian Territory, was completed on April 15, 1897, by the Cudahy Oil Company on the south bank of Caney River. The site is 3.1 milies northwest of this marker.
Located on the south bank of the Caney River in Johnstone Park, Bartlesville
Tom Mix Museum
One of the most nearly complete collections of Tom Mix memorabilia, the displays at this museum offer graphic illustrations of the early-day motion-picture industry and one of its famous stars.
Located at 721 North Delaware, Dewey
Search by Marker Name
Browse by County
Roger Mills County