Home > sites >  Historical Markers

Historical Markers

Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.

In 1976 the Oklahoma Historical Society published Mark of Heritage. Written by Muriel Wright, George Shirk, and Kenny Franks, this publication contains information about historic sites and historical markers in Oklahoma.
Read Mark of Heritage online



Search Results

Your search returned 9 results.

Elias Boudinot
Cherokee County
Kulakenna "Buck" Watie, brother of Stand Watie, took the name of his benefactor, Elias Boudinot of New Jersey. After completing his education, Boudinot signed the Treaty of New Echota (Georgia) in 1835 that provided for the removal of the Cherokees to Indian Territory. He was clerk of the Cherokee National Council and editor of the Cherokee Phoenix before removal. After he came west, Boudinot was assassinated on June 22, 1839, near the Park Hill Mission Press where he was assisting the famous missionary Reverend Samuel Worcester.
Located at Worcester Cemetery at Park Hill

First Baptist Convention in Indian Territory
Cherokee County
American Indian, African American, and white Baptists convened here in June 1883 to form the Missionary and Educational Convention, Oklahoma's first Baptist Convention.
Located at corner of College and Downing Streets in Tahlequah. OHBC

Indian Base Line
Cherokee County

Manard
Cherokee County
Named for early-day fur trader Pierre Manard, a member of the Chouteau family, the settlement was the site of a Civil War skirmish on July 27, 1862, in which Federal troops and the Indian Home Guard routed Confederate forces.
Located on OK-82 south of Tahlequah, one mile east of the Cherokee-Muskogee County line

Moravian Mission Cemetery
Cherokee/Delware County
Located New Springplace Mission near Oaks

Park Hill
Cherokee County
Before the Civil War, Park Hill was the center of culture and learning in the Cherokee Nation. See Park Hill Press.
Located 1/2 mile east of junction of US-62 and OK-82 on south edge of Tahlequah.

Park Hill Press
Cherokee County
In 1837, Reverend Samuel Worcester moved his printing plant from Union Mission to Park Hill. Over the next quarter-century, more than 25 million pages were printed in English and American Indian languages.
Located 1/2 mile east of junction of US-62 and OK-82 on south edge of Tahlequah.

Riley's Chapel
Cherokee County
In 1843, Reverend Thomas Bertholf built Riley's Chapel on a hill south of the Cherokee capital. The first annual Indian Mission Conference of the Methodist Church was held at the chapel on October 23, 1844. The building was razed in 1868.
Located 1/2 mile east of junction of US-62 and OK-82 on south edge of Tahlequah.

Tahlequah
Cherokee County
Tahlequah was the capital of the Cherokee Nation until statehood and the closing of the Cherokee government. Oklahoma's first newspaper, the Cherokee Advocate, was printed here. The last Cherokee capitol, constructed on the city square in 1872, became the Cherokee County courthouse at statehood.
Located on OK-51 between Lee and Morris Streets in Tahlequah

(Page 1 of 1)



Search for Markers






Browse by County

Le Flore County
Lincoln County
Logan County
Love County
Major County
Marshall County
Mayes County
McClain County
McCurtain County
McIntosh County
Murray County
Muskogee County
Noble County
Nowata County
Okfuskee County
Oklahoma County
Okmulgee County
Osage County
Ottawa County
Pawnee County
Payne County
Pittsburg County
Pontotoc County
Pottawatomie County
Pushmataha County
Roger Mills County
Rogers County
Seminole County
Sequoyah County
Stephens County
Texas County
Tillman County
Tulsa County
Wagoner County
Washington County
Washita County
Woods County
Woodward County