Home > sites >  Historical Markers

Historical Markers

Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.

In 1976 the Oklahoma Historical Society published Mark of Heritage. Written by Muriel Wright, George Shirk, and Kenny Franks, this publication contains information about historic sites and historical markers in Oklahoma.
Read Mark of Heritage online



Search Results

Your search returned 8 results.

Chief Pushmataha
Wagoner County
Chief Pushmataha led a Mississippi Choctaw hunting expedition to the area in January of 1807 and attacked armed men under the leadership of French trader Joseph Bogy. Pushmataha County, in southeastern Oklahoma, is named for this great Choctaw leader.
Located on US-69, 1/4 mile north of Arkansas River bridge

First Brick Building
Wagoner County
The first permanent brick building in Wagoner stands at this site.
Located on OK-51 in downtown Wagoner

Koweta Mission
Wagoner County
Reverend R. M. Loughridge founded this Creek Indian school in 1843 and named it for an ancient Creek town in Alabama.
Located on US-69, 1/4 mile north of Arkansas River bridge

Oklahoma's First Baptist Church
Wagoner County
A Baptist congregation was established here in 1832.
Located on US-69, 1/4 mile north of Arkansas River bridge

Texas Road
Wagoner County
A monument commemorates the Texas Road, the most ancient trail through Oklahoma, the Three Forks trading post, the Creek and Osage agencies, and Washington Irving's visit to the area.
Located on OK-16 north of Verdigris River in Okay (DAR)

Tullahassee Mission
Wagoner County
Tullahassee was established as a Creek mission by Presbyterian Reverend R. M. Loughridge in 1848. Alice Robertson, later Oklahoma's first congresswoman and the first woman postmaster in America, was born here.
Located on US-69, 1/4 mile north of Arkansas River

Wagoner
Wagoner County
In 1896, Wagoner became Indian Territory's first incorporated town. The following year, the territory's first public schools began here.
Located at intersection of US-69 and OK-51 in Wagoner

Wigwam Neosho
Wagoner County
Wigwam Neosho was a trading post from 1829–33, named and operated by Sam Houston, Ex-Gov. of Tennessee and future president of the Republic of Texas. Houston was called Colonneh (The Raven) by his Cherokee friends. American author Washington Irving visited Houston in 1832 as he made notes for his book, A Tour of the Prairies, now an Oklahoma classic.
Located on US-69, one mile north of Arkansas River bridge

(Page 1 of 1)



Search for Markers






Browse by County

Le Flore County
Lincoln County
Logan County
Love County
Major County
Marshall County
Mayes County
McClain County
McCurtain County
McIntosh County
Murray County
Muskogee County
Noble County
Nowata County
Okfuskee County
Oklahoma County
Okmulgee County
Osage County
Ottawa County
Pawnee County
Payne County
Pittsburg County
Pontotoc County
Pottawatomie County
Pushmataha County
Roger Mills County
Rogers County
Seminole County
Sequoyah County
Stephens County
Texas County
Tillman County
Tulsa County
Wagoner County
Washington County
Washita County
Woods County
Woodward County