Home > sites >  Historical Markers

Historical Markers

Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.

In 1976 the Oklahoma Historical Society published Mark of Heritage. Written by Muriel Wright, George Shirk, and Kenny Franks, this publication contains information about historic sites and historical markers in Oklahoma.
Read Mark of Heritage online



Search Results

Your search returned 7 results.

Camp Supply
Woodward County
The site was used as a supply camp for Colonel George Armstrong Custer's 7th Cavalry in 1868. General Philip Sheridan received Custer here when he returned from the Battle of the Washita in December of 1868. The name was changed to Fort Supply in 1878 and abandoned in 1894. The State of Oklahoma later used the buildings for a hospital.
Located on US-183, one mile east of Fort Supply

CCC-Boiling Springs State Park
Woodward County
Company 2822 of the Civilian Conservation Corps built the Boiling Springs State Park from 1935 to 1940 as part of the federal government's program to provide jobs during the Great Depression.
Located in Boiling Springs State Park

Crossing of Fort Supply to Fort Reno Road
Woodward County
Originally a trail from Camp Supply to Darlington in the Cheyenne/Arapaho lands beginning in 1869, the road eventually became the main route of travel and supply between the two western forts.
Located on OK-34 at Ninth Street and Jefferson in Woodward

Crossing of Fort Supply to Fort Reno Road
Woodward County
See Crossing of Fort Supply to Fort Reno Road.
Located on OK-50, one mile west and three miles west of Mooreland

Military Chapel
Woodward County
Once considered to have been a military chapel at Fort Supply, the building was never located at the fort and actually was constructed sometime after 1888 in Woodward. A local businessman later had the building moved to its present location to accommodate a shorter walking distance for his wife.
Located at St. John's Episcopal Church at Tenth and Texas Streets in Woodward (DAR)

Military Road Crossing
Woodward County
A military road from Dodge City, Kansas, via Fort Supply, to Fort Elliott, Texas, carried supply wagons and a daily stagecoach through this area from 1874 to 1890.
Located on US-270, one mile west of Fort Supply (DAR)

The Cooper Site
Woodward County
Two miles northeast of here is the Cooper Paleo-Indian bison kill site. The site was the scene of three of the largest Folsom (ca. 10,500 years ago) bison kills known. Each event saw more than thirty bison herded into a dead-end gully. Hunters on the gully rim killed the animals with spears tipped with finely crafted Folsom points. A bison skull beneath the second kill was painted with red zigzag lines to ensure a successful hunt. The mineral pigment was red hematite. This is the oldest painted skull in North America and is the earliest evidence of hunting ritual for the Plains region.
Located Fort Supply

(Page 1 of 1)



Search for Markers






Browse by County

Le Flore County
Lincoln County
Logan County
Love County
Major County
Marshall County
Mayes County
McClain County
McCurtain County
McIntosh County
Murray County
Muskogee County
Noble County
Nowata County
Okfuskee County
Oklahoma County
Okmulgee County
Osage County
Ottawa County
Pawnee County
Payne County
Pittsburg County
Pontotoc County
Pottawatomie County
Pushmataha County
Roger Mills County
Rogers County
Seminole County
Sequoyah County
Stephens County
Texas County
Tillman County
Tulsa County
Wagoner County
Washington County
Washita County
Woods County
Woodward County