Pioneer Heritage Townsite Center201 North 9th Street
Frederick, OK 73542
Located west of courthouse on 9th Street, one block west of Highway 5 & 183
|Open for special events.|
Use of drones over Oklahoma Historical Society property is not permitted without written approval of the facility director.
Pioneer Heritage Townsite Center
The museum complex was started in 1977 when the Frederick Rotary Club and Tillman County Historical Society teamed up to save and move the Horse Creek School.
The Oklahoma Historical Society became involved in 1996 with renovations to the Frisco Depot and installation of exhibits. The site was then named Pioneer Heritage Townsite Center. Additional land and structures have expanded the museum complex, which represents plains and southwest Oklahoma agriculture in the 1920s era.
Life with no running water and electricity, shopping at the general store, attending a one-room school, and the back-breaking labor of farming are remembered by older generations and introduced historically to the younger generations at the Pioneer Heritage Townsite Center.
The General Store was constructed on the Townsite in the spring of 2000. It is the first stop of visitors to Pioneer Heritage Townsite Center. It houses the museum gift shop, mercantile and goods needed during the early years, an original Tillman County post office, and information about sites to visit in Tillman County and important visitor information.
Horse Creek Schoolhouse was built in 1902 in northeastern Tillman County. It was a school house and served as the North Deep Red Baptist Church until the 1960s. The building has been restored and is now used to teach children about school in a one-room facility. The building was moved to Pioneer Park in 1977 and served as a museum until 2000.
The Nill House structure was originally a corn crib, built from lumber milled on the Nill family farm. It was brought to this area by the Nill family in 1906. The family shipped the house by rail from Ohio to Oklahoma Territory. It was reassembled as a house near Quanah, O.T. (southeast of Frederick) and the family of seven lived there for about six months until a new two-story home was built. The house was donated by N.C. Nill and moved to the current site in 1983.
The house was constructed on site in 1924. It was purchased by the Tillman County Historical Society in 1996. It has been renovated to represent a county farm house of the 1920s.
The Tillman County Historical Museum building was constructed in the spring of 2000. The museum houses exhibits which interpret life in a southwest Oklahoma community during territorial period, the World Wars, and the Depression era.
The St. Paul (AME) Church was built in 1924. It was originally located at 722 West Aster, Frederick, Oklahoma. The church was moved to the current site in 1999 and restored. The pews, choir benches and pulpit are all original.
The Frisco Depot was scheduled for demolition when members of the Tillman County Historical Society and staff of the Tulsa office of the Frisco Railroad worked out a deal to save it. The depot was moved to the Townsite in May 1985 in three separate pieces. The building houses the "What's Coming, What's Going" exhibit. This exhibit shows how agricultural products were shipped out, and building and household supplies were shipped in by rail. Some of the original furniture is still in place, as is graffiti from early workmen and travelers of Frederick. Three passenger trains stopped daily. Military personnel and civilians used this mode of transportation regularly before the automobile became popular.
The barn was erected in 1983 through the efforts of the Tillman County Historical Society. It was originally built as an extension of the school house museum. The building has been moved and renovated to represent a functioning barn. Also in the barn is the Abernathy boys exhibit.
The implement shed houses some of the largest pieces in the Townsite collection. Included are tractors, harrows, plows, grain separators, and other pieces of early farm machinery from the late 1800s to the 1950s.