Home > support >  Monogrammed Bricks

Monogrammed Brick Stories

Spencer Historical Society

Submitted by Robert Zaring

The property where the museum sits was platted in 1895 and granted to Alexander Howell. The Howell's built a home there in circa 1913.

Robert and Sophie Hendricks bought the property in December, 1921. Robert Hendricks purchased the Ford Dealership on Main Street in 1924. The Hendricks, having two daughters (Bobbie and Dorothy) lived in the home, made renovations and constructed the playhouse for the girls. The playhouse was the hit of the neighborhood and many hours of fun were had there.

The Hendricks sisters donated the home to the Spencer Historical Society in 1990 after several years of the home being vacant. The Society set about rehabilitating the home and making it suitable to be a museum.





Back to the list