OHS Historical Marker Program
If you would like to learn more about the OHS Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the OHS Historical Marker Program page.
Your search returned 9 results.
Location: on US-81, eight miles north and one mile east of El Reno
The cemetery was established by the Beecham family to provide burial space for pioneers of the area. Many graves are marked only by crude stones, their inscriptions eroded by a century of exposure to the elements. In 1972, the Beecham Cemetery Association collected funds to provide for perpetual care for the one-acre cemetery.
Location: on Czech Hall Road
Bohemian Hall was established in 1899 by early Czech settlers. The original structure was replaced in 1924 by the present building. Bohemian Hall is the focal point of Czech social and musical functions in Oklahoma, including traditional weddings, reunions, and family gatherings. Czech plays have been performed periodically for the last fifty years. The original hand-painted canvas drops for the stage are still in existence.
Location: on US-81, three miles north of El Reno
A pioneer merchant, trader, and explorer, Jesse Chisholm, a mixed-blood Cherokee, established a trail through western Indian Territory before the Civil War. Texas cattlemen used the trail until the late 1880s to move millions of cattle to northern markets. The trail ran from Montague County, Texas, to Abilene, Kansas.
Location: on US-81, two miles north of El Reno
An important stop on the Chisholm Trail, the Cheyenne-Arapaho Agency was established at Darlington in 1870. The settlement is named for Brinton Darlington, a Quaker who was appointed Indian agent by President U. S. Grant. A post office opened in Darlington in 1873 and the first newspaper published in western Indian Territory, the Cheyenne Transporter, was printed in the community in 1879.
Location: on OK-66 at entrance to Fort Reno
Named for General Jesse L. Reno, who died in action in the Battle of Antietam in 1862, Fort Reno was a prominent outpost among the Cheyenne. US troops camped in the area during an Indian uprising in 1874, and a permanent site for the post was chosen the following year. The post was abandoned as an active military installation in February 1908, but it served as an army remount station until 1949. Many of the original structures still stand.
Location: at entrance to Cemetery Road Parade Ground (DAR)
See Fort Reno
Gift of John Kirkpatrick
Location: near Chisholm Trail marker in Yukon
This memorial commemorating the famous Chisholm Trail was a gift of Oklahoma City philanthropist John E. Kirkpatrick. See Chisholm Trail.
Location: on SH-4 bridge crossing over the South Canadian River between SH-153 and SH-37 (between Mustang and Tuttle).
Pikey's Crossing (circa 1867) on the South Canadian River was established by Benson Pikey, a Chickasaw born in Mississippi and Trail of Tears survivor (circa 1837). He was elected as a Representative to the Chickasaw House before and after the Civil War. During the Civil War, Ben fought for the Confederacy, serving as Captain of Company G in Shecoe's Chickasaw Battalion Mounted Volunteers.
Run of '89 West Boundary
Location: on US Highway 66, one mile west of El Reno
At the opening of the "Old Oklahoma," April 22, 1889, this was the west line for the run starting at noon. Prairies and hills in the 2-million-acre tract, south, were peopled by tens of thousands. Homes were planted and tent cities sprang up before nightfall.
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Roger Mills County