OHS Historical Marker Program
If you would like to learn more about the OHS Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the OHS Historical Marker Program page.
Your search returned 5 results.
Chickasaw Council House
Location: in Chickasaw Museum, 200 North Fisher, Tishomingo
A log cabin, now restored to near original condition, served as the official meeting place of Chickasaw leaders from 1856 until 1858 when a new brick building was constructed. Fire destroyed that building in 1890, and the final Chickasaw capitol, now the Johnston County Courthouse, was built in 1897.
Location: Chickasaw White House
One of the first towns established in Johnston County. Emet originated when the Chickasaw Council House was moved from Boggy Depot to this area, two miles east of the Pleasant Grove Mission in the early 1850s. The Pleasant Grove Mission School was established by the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1844 to serve the children of the Chickasaws.
Oklahoma Farmers Union
Location: across the street from Johnston County Courthouse
Struggling farmers united to form Farmers Union at Point, Texas in 1902. Spreading into the Twin Territories, William H. "Alfalfa Bill" Murray helped establish the Indiahoma Farmers' Educational and Co-Operative Union of America.
Location: on OK-99 west of Tishomingo
The capital of the Chickasaw Nation was named after the last war chief of the Chickasaws, Tishomingo, who died on the Trail of Tears during removal from Mississippi. Soon after its founding in 1856, Tishomingo became the trade and cultural center of the Chickasaw Nation.
Location: at junction of OK-7 and OK-70
The Chickasaw Council established this major educational effort for Chickasaw children in 1852. Near the ruins of the school is the grave of Mary C. Greenleaf, a teacher at the academy, who died in 1857.
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Roger Mills County