OHS Historical Marker Program
If you would like to learn more about the OHS Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the OHS Historical Marker Program page.
Your search returned 6 results.
Location: on city square in Okmulgee
This former capitol of the Creek Nation was constructed in 1878. Indian Territory tribal delegates met on this site in 1870 to draft the Okmulgee Constitution. Though never adopted or approved, the document called for the organization of Indian Territory under one government.
Location: inside north door of Creek Capitol (DAR)
The Creek Council House, now a museum, occupies an entire city block in downtown Okmulgee. An original building was erected in 1868 but was razed for construction of the present structure in 1878. See Creek Capitol.
Location: in community of Grayson
Grayson is one of thirteen All-Black towns, out of more than fifty that once existed, remaining in Oklahoma. While Tullahassee is reportedly the oldest, most were established between 1889 and 1907 as African Americans sought security and control of their own destiny in a segregated world. Most of the towns began to decline in the 1920s and 1930s as rural African Americans faced economic hardships and began to move to urban areas.
Landmark for All Generations Okmulgee Colored Hospital
Location: 210 N. Wood Dr., Okmulgee OK
The vision for this building became a reality when the city acquired four lots from William Morton in 1920. In 1922 Okmulgee’s black citizens secured $25,000 in donations from federated clubs and their own leading citizens to complete the funding to construct the first “colored hospital” to be opened in the state of Oklahoma. Even though the building was completed, the black community had to raise additional funds to equip the hospital and make the building operational. In 1924 a group of black citizens formed the Colored Hospital Association. The hospital was opened in 1924 and housed 18–20 beds with living quarters for a staff of six to seven nurses. The building was estimated to cost $50,000. In 1936 the building was leased for three years to Dr. J. H. Burt.
Important medical services and care were provided at the hospital, but it also served as a symbol of segregation prior to the Civil Rights Movement. When Okmulgee integrated a number of health facilities in 1957 the Okmulgee Colored Hospital was closed.
In 1984 the building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Location: on OK-56, nine miles west of Okmulgee
Through the efforts of educator Alice Robertson, who also served as Oklahoma's only female member of Congress, the mission was established by the Presbyterian Board and the Creek Nation in 1882. Robertson also founded Henry Kendall College which became the University of Tulsa.
Location: on OK-56 on grounds of Creek Council House Square in Okmulgee
Samuel Checote was the first elected Creek chief after the Civil War and spent much of his life serving as a Methodist minister. Checote was a lieutenant colonel in the Confederate Army.
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Roger Mills County