OHS Historical Marker Program
If you would like to learn more about the OHS Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the OHS Historical Marker Program page.
Your search returned 4 results.
Empire of Greer
This marker is on the 100th Meridian, now the west boundary of Oklahoma. Under the terms of the Adams-Onis Treaty of 1819 it was the international boundary between the United States and Spanish Territory. Ownership of Old Greer County (the area between the North Fork of Red River and Red River) was claimed by fourteen different governments from 1629 to 1896 when the US Supreme Court declared the area part of Oklahoma Territory.
Located on OK-66 in Texola
The Highway community was founded in 1892. At one time the town contained two general stores, a barber shop, a blacksmith shop, and a grain mill. A new consolidated school building was dedicated in 1922. The school closed in 1957.
Located four miles south and one mile west of intersection of OK-6 and 152 south of Elk City
Old Greer County
Greer County was named and governed as part of Texas from 1860 until 1896 when a US Supreme Court decision made it part of Oklahoma Territory. This county area was claimed by fourteen different governments from 1669 to Oklahoma statehood in 1907; since then it has been divided into three counties and the south part of Beckham County.
Located on US H66, in the roadside park, one mile south of Sayre
Spanish Road Crossing
The Spaniards developed the first-known trail in Oklahoma. Deep, indelible ruts were cut into the prairie by heavily laden wooden carts. Known as the Great Spanish Road to Red River, it connected Santa Fe and Natchitoches. The real beginning of highway construction was under Governor Holloway with Alvin Moore as State Senator.
Located on Hwy 283 north of Sayre
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Roger Mills County