Historical Marker Program
If you would like to learn more about the Oklahoma Historical Society Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the OHS Historical Marker Program page.
Your search returned 9 results.
Dave Blue Trading Post
Location: on OK-9 in Norman
Dave Blue was a trader in the 1870s who hired Cherokee and Creeks to kill wild buffalo. Blue shipped the hides to Atoka for transportation to market in the eastern United States. Blue's trading post was built along the Arbuckle Cattle Trail.
March of the Dragoons
Location: on US-77 in Noble just south of Maguire Road
Captain Nathan Boone, son of pioneer legend Daniel Boone, led 100 men and officers on an expedition to gather information about the Plains Indians. The 1843 expedition camped near this site.
Location: on US-77, 1/2 mile north of intersection with OK-9
This is the camp site of Abner Norman, a member of an 1873 survey party in Indian Territory. Members of his party burned "Norman's Camp" into a large elm at the site. The Norman Station was on the Santa Fe Railroad (1886–1889) and later the town of Norman took his name.
Oklahoma's Pioneer Oil City
On July 2, 1904, the Lowery #1 came in just south of Cleveland, opening the Cleveland Sand and creating Oklahoma's first oil boom town. Here also was Jordan's Fort, built in 1886 by Colonel J. W. Jordan, Cherokee agent and deputy US marshal, to keep Boomers out of the Cherokee Outlet.
Run of '89 South Boundary
Location: on US-77 at east end of South Canadian River bridge in Lexington
The South Canadian River was the south boundary line for the Unassigned Lands in central Oklahoma opened to settlement on April 22, 1889, in the first of five land runs in Oklahoma.
The City of Norman and the Cleveland County Historical Museum
Constructed in 1895, six years after the 1889 Run, this house, known as the Harry Lindsey Home, has been restored as a classic example of pre-statehood architecture.
The Jacobson House
Location: 609 Chautauqua, Norman
The home of Swedish born artist Oscar B. Jacobson and Jeanne d'Ucel became a center for international celebrities, artists and writers from 1918–1966. Jacobson, director of the OU School of Art from 1915–1945, revolutionized art education in Oklahoma. He is also credited with nurturing the "renaissance" of American Indian painting on the Southern Plains in the 1920s.
University of Oklahoma
Location: at 206 West Main in Norman
The University of Oklahoma was established by the first Territorial Legislature in 1890 and classes began in 1892. Cleveland County, Oklahoma Territory, contributed $10,000 and citizens of Norman donated forty acres for the campus. David Ross Boyd was the first president.
Washington Irving Campsite
Location: on OK-9 in Little Axe Park ten miles east of Norman (DAR)
Noted American author Washington Irving and his party camped near Norman on his tour of the prairies in 1832, giving the outside world its first glimpse at the land that would become Oklahoma.
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Roger Mills County