Historical Marker Program
Your search returned 3 results.
Location: on OK-32, one mile north of Petersburg
Oklahoma's oldest town on the Red River was a great, fortified village of the Wichita Indians. The French trading post on the north bank of the river was named for Governor Bernardo de Galvez in 1778 when Oklahoma was part of Louisiana.
Southwest Bible College
Location: on OK-5 on east edge of Hastings (OBHC)
A Baptist college was founded in Hastings in 1907. The school later moved to Mangum. Its library became the core for the library at Oklahoma Baptist University in Shawnee.
Location: on US-70 in Waurika
Waurika is the only county seat located in Oklahoma on the 98th Meridian. The post office was opened on June 28, 1902. The west side of town was the Kiowa-Comanche reservation, part of Oklahoma Territory, while land east of the line was Pickens County in the Chickasaw Nation.
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Le Flore County
Roger Mills County