Historical Marker Program
If you would like to learn more about the Oklahoma Historical Society Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the OHS Historical Marker Program page.
Your search returned 9 results.
Location: at 103 North Main Street, Miami
The Coleman Theatre, built in 1929 as a vaudeville/movie theatre palace, has hosted many legendary performers. Never closed, it holds the original Mighty Wurlitzer Pipe Organ that has entertained generations. Programs and acts of all types are still performed regularly.
Entering Indian Territory
Location: on US-69 Alternate just south of Kansas-Oklahoma border
This area was granted to the Quapaw tribe in 1833. Nearby, members of twenty other tribes received lands from the federal government.
Historic Route 66 Highway Ribbon Road
Location: off Hwy. 69-one mile north of Narcissa, 1/2 mile after the water tower, turn right
Location: 1/4 mile south of Hwy 10C in Ottawa
All that remains of the original 4,000-acre Modoc Reservation is this 4 1/2 acre cemetery, the final resting place of Scarfaced Charley, Shacknasty Jim, James Long, Long George, and other leaders of California's Modoc War. Fought over 100 years ago in lava beds near Tulelake, California, this full-scale military campaign against "Captain Jack" and his band is famous in annals of Indian Wars. Today, the rolls of the vanishing Modoc contain only fifty-two descendants of those who peacefully exiled to the Quapaw Agency as prisoners-of-war in November 1873.
Location: near intersection of Central and Main Streets, Miami
The Ozark Trails Movement, founded in 1913, played an early role promoting east-west highways and the future US 66 in Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico. This obelisk was originally located in the intersection of Main and Central Street. It was constructed in 1920 and removed in the late 1920s as a traffic hazard.
Picher Mining Field
Location: 1 1/2 mile south of Picher at Junction 69 north and 66 east and west
From 1917 to 1967 Picher Mining Field yielded 450 million tons of ore, 21 million tons of concentrate, 11 million tons of metal; from 1921 to 1946, it was known as the world's largest and richest lead and zinc field. Picher Mining Field and people who worked here produced key materials for World Wars I and II and the Korean Conflict.
Location: on US-60 near Missouri border west of Seneca, Missouri
The federal government established this agency in 1832 for the Seneca and remnants of seven other tribes who had been relocated in Indian Territory from Ohio.
The British Plot, G.A.R. Cemetery
Location: GAR Cemetery, 129 5th Ave, Miami OK
During WWII 1941-1945, the Spartan School of Aeronautics, British Flying Three was established in Miami, OK to train British Pilots without the rest of interference. Miami's roster included 2124 Royal Air Force cadet and 117 United cadets of which 1493 pilots were awarded RAF wings. 15 British cadets lost their lives in training and interred here. Each year in October, G.A.R, Cemetery holds an annual British Flyers Remembrance ceremony to honor the lives of these 15 British cadets and to educate the public, young and old, to continue their legacy. Lest we forget.
Location: on OK-137 in Twin Bridges State Park, .2 mile north of US-60
The Wyandots moved from Kansas to the north side of the Seneca Reservation in Indian Territory in the 1850s but did not control their own affairs until passage of the Oklahoma Indian Welfare Act of 1936.
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Roger Mills County