July 14, 2015
New Oklahoma National Register Listings
Oklahoma City, Okla. -- The Oklahoma Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office is pleased to announce four new National Register of Historic Places listings in Oklahoma. The National Register of Historic Places is our nation's official list of properties significant in our past.
Tulsa adds a new National Register location to their ever-increasing inventory. Elizabeth Manor is located at 1820 South Boulder Avenue West and was designed by architect Arthur Atkinson. The building is significant in the area of community planning and development for its association with the unprecedented boom in apartment construction in Tulsa in the 1920s. The trend of 1920s apartment house construction left a permanent mark on Tulsa's community development.
The C. A. Comer House joins a growing list of properties significant for their association with architect Bruce Goff listed on the National Register. Located in the community of Dewey in Washington County, the C. A. Comer House was built in 1957 in the Organic style. The house is characteristic of Goff's designs in its open plan, compositional patterns, folding partitions and large clerestory windows. The C. A. Comer House is an excellent example of Goff's Organic design.
The Hays-Kennedy/Rivoli Theater, in downtown Blackwell, is significant for its association with recreation and entertainment, as it served as a theater from 1929 to its closing in 1963. It is also significant as an excellent example of an Art Deco building. The theater was designed by Tulsa architect H. H. Mahler.
The Czech Hall of Oklahoma City, Lodge Laska, is located on Southwest Sixth Street in downtown. The lodge is significant for its role with the Czechoslovakian social/humanitarian fraternal organization, established to enable newly arrived immigrants to encourage and assist fellow immigrants while preserving their distinctive ways in their adopted country. It is also significant as early vernacular architecture in Oklahoma City.
Listing on the National Register is an honorific designation that provides recognition, limited protection and, in some cases, financial incentives for these important properties. The SHPO identifies, evaluates and nominates properties for this special designation.
The State Historic Preservation Office is a division of the Oklahoma Historical Society. The mission of the Oklahoma Historical Society is to collect, preserve and share the history and culture of the state of Oklahoma. Founded in 1893 by members of the Territorial Press Association, the OHS maintains 31 museums, historic sites and affiliates across the state. Through its research archives, exhibits, educational programs and publications the OHS chronicles the rich history of Oklahoma. For more information about the OHS, please visit www.okhistory.org.