January 3, 2018
New Oklahoma National Register Listings
OKLAHOMA CITY — The Oklahoma Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) is pleased to announce eight new National Register of Historic Places listings in Oklahoma. The National Register of Historic Places is our nation’s official list of properties significant in our past.
The SHPO, through contracts with communities that participate in the Certified Local Governments program, contracted for the preparation of multiple National Register nominations in 2017. The City of Ponca City hired a qualified consultant to prepare four nominations for properties within the city limits. The four new listings in Kay County are the 101 Rodeo Arena, Attucks Community Center, James J. McGraw House and Roosevelt Elementary School.
Significant for its role in recreation and culture, the 101 Rodeo Arena has served Ponca City since 1961 and features custom design and construction. Attucks Community Center is significant for its important role in Ponca City’s African American community. The building served as the auditorium for the segregated Attucks School from 1926 to 1966. The James J. McGraw House, designed in 1910 by Solomon Layton, is an excellent local example of the Prairie style of architecture. Finally, Roosevelt Elementary School is significant both for its role in education and its Collegiate Gothic architectural style. Roosevelt Elementary School is an excellent local example of Progressive Era school design.
The First Congregational Church at 1887 Cecil St. in Waynoka is significant as an excellent local example of the late 19th- and 20th-century Revival style. The church building is a subtle combination of the Mission and Late Gothic Revival styles. Preservation Oklahoma, Inc contracted for the nomination’s preparation.
Park Etude, located at 1028 Connelly Lane in Norman, is significant as an excellent local example of the Organic style. The house was designed by architect and professor Dean Bryant Vollendorf, and built from 1966 to 1967.
Located at 2000 West Warner Street in Guthrie, the Benedictine Heights Hospital is significant for its role in health/medicine. Constructed between 1926 and 1947, the hospital reflects the changing trends in hospital design. It is also significant for its Classical Revival design by Oklahoma architect Leon Senter.
At the corner of U.S. Highway 66 and Main Street in Arcadia is the Edward Richardson Building. Significant for its commercial architecture, the property is also significant for its association with the African American community in Arcadia.
Listing in the National Register is an honorific designation that provides recognition, limited protection and, in some cases, financial incentives for these important properties. The SHPO identifies, evaluates and nominates properties for this special designation.
The State Historic Preservation Office is a division of the Oklahoma Historical Society. The mission of the Oklahoma Historical Society is to collect, preserve and share the history and culture of the state of Oklahoma. Founded in 1893 by members of the Territorial Press Association, the OHS maintains museums, historic sites and affiliates across the state. Through its research archives, exhibits, educational programs and publications the OHS chronicles the rich history of Oklahoma. For more information please visit www.okhistory.org.
Editor’s Note: Photographs to accompany the story can be acquired by contacting the State Historic Preservation Office at 405-522-4484.