December 13, 2018
State Historic Preservation Office Awards Citations of Merit
OKLAHOMA CITY — The Oklahoma Historical Society’s State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) presents its quarterly Citations of Merit for work in preserving the history of Oklahoma. Eleven citations were awarded for accomplishments in nine Oklahoma communities. The award recognizes efforts to preserve Oklahoma’s historic properties through restoration, rehabilitation, research, planning, public programming and other activities.
The October 2018 recipients of the SHPO’s Citations of Merit and their accomplishments include:
Crimson Investment Partners, LLC; Preservation and Design Studio, PLLC; and WDM Architects, P.A. for the rehabilitation of the 1926 Hotel Bell in Downtown Alva.
Texoma Building Services, LLC; Preservation and Design Studio, PLLC; and SDG Architects for the rehabilitation of the Dunbar School located in Atoka.
Choctaw Nation Historic Preservation Department for the Waterhole Cemetery Restoration Project, which was completed in July 2018 and included the reset, restoration and cleaning of headstones.
Aldridge Housing Partners, LP; Preservation and Design Studio, PLLC; and Wallace Architects for the rehabilitation of the Aldridge Hotel in downtown McAlester.
Newkirk Main Street, Newkirk Junior Main Street and Newkirk Community Historical Society for their collaborative efforts to create the “Good Luck” card game featuring historic buildings in Newkirk.
Townhouse, LLC and Gardner Architects for the rehabilitation of the 1933 Town House Hotel in Oklahoma City.
Don Hollacher and Preservation and Design Studio, PLLC for the rehabilitation of the OG&E Electric Transformer House in Oklahoma City.
Editor’s Note: Photographs to accompany the story can be acquired by contacting the State Historic Preservation Office at 405-522-4484.
Council House Landlord, LLC and Selser Schaefer Architects for the rehabilitation of the 1878 Creek National Capitol/Creek Council House in Okmulgee.
Hess Townhomes, LLC for the rehabilitation of the McBrayer Building in downtown Okmulgee.
LW Development, LLC; Preservation and Design Studio, PLLC; and SDG Architects for the rehabilitation of the Oakdale School in Oakland.
Wiggin Properties, LLC and KKT Architects for the rehabilitation of the 1913 Palace Clothiers Building in Tulsa.
The State Historic Preservation Office is a division of the Oklahoma Historical Society. The mission of the Oklahoma Historical Society is to collect, preserve and share the history and culture of the state of Oklahoma and its people. Founded in 1893 by members of the Territorial Press Association, the OHS maintains museums, historic sites and affiliates across the state. Through its research archives, exhibits, educational programs and publications the OHS chronicles the rich history of Oklahoma. For more information about the OHS, please visit www.okhistory.org.