Home |  PublicationsEncyclopedia |  Rushing, James Andrew

The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture


James Andrew Rushing, a vocalist in the Count Basie Band from 1935 to 1950, was born in Oklahoma City, August 26, 1901, to Andrew and Cora Rushing. Jimmy Rushing's father played the tuba in local bands. Jimmy learned to play violin by ear and also learned piano, against his parents' wishes (because of its association with nightclubs; they locked the keyboard when he was home alone). He also studied music at Oklahoma City's Douglass High School. He sang, cooked, and poured root beer at his father's lunchroom on Northeast Second Street or "Deep Deuce," the home of jazz.

In 1921 Rushing went to California and began playing piano and singing in nightclubs. Back in Oklahoma City in 1927, he sang with Walter Page's band, the Blue Devils, and met Basie when Page hired him as the band's pianist. In 1935 Basie and Rushing struck out on their own. Basie's preference for blues and blues-flavored swing and Rushing's capacity to belt the blues helped make the Basie band one of the best of the swing era. In 1950, when the band fell apart, Rushing went on with other groups, including Duke Ellington's, and had an important career as a solo artist.

Jimmy Rushing helped set the standard by which all other blues shouters would be judged. A small, rotund man, he was known as "Mr. Five-by-Five." He died of cancer on June 8, 1972.

Bob Burke


Bob Burke and Vicki Miles-LaGrange, A Passion for Equality, The Life of Jimmy Stewart (Oklahoma City: Oklahoma Heritage Association, 1999).

Stanley Dance, The World of Count Basie (New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1980).

William W. Savage, Jr., Singing Cowboys and All That Jazz: A Short History of Popular Music in Oklahoma (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1983).


The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Bob Burke, “Rushing, James Andrew,” The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, https://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry?entry=RU003.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society (OHS). This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and part or in whole.