The Oklahoma Centennial Farm & Ranch Program and the National Register of Historic Places
The Oklahoma Centennial Farm & Ranch Program was officially announced by Governor Henry Bellmon in March 1989. He received its first application from H. C. Hitch Jr., owner of the Panhandle’s well-known Hitch Ranch. Since then, more than 1,498 properties have received recognition through the program.
For more information about the program, visit the Oklahoma Centennial Farm & Ranch Program page.
Four Oklahoma Centennial Farms & Ranches are included in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) for their contributions to the development of agriculture and for architectural significance. The State Historic Preservation Office regularly reviews the farm and ranch files for properties that are eligible for the NRHP and contacts the owners to determine their interest in having their property listed. The program enables the SHPO to expand its inventory of rural resources and to broaden the audience for information about the National Historic Preservation Act programs. The Oklahoma Centennial Farms & Ranches listed in the NRHP include
L7 Ranch (Vannerson Homestead)
Erick vicinity, Beckham County
A 2016 listing in the National Register of Historic Places, the Vannerson Homestead (known as the L7 Ranch in the Centennial Farm & Ranch Program) was included in the Oklahoma Centennial Farm & Ranch Program and received the Historic Structures Award in 2001. The Vannerson Homestead (L7 Ranch) was originally occupied by Charles Vannerson in 1896. Vannerson built a half dugout by hauling wood from Quanah, Texas, a distance of sixty miles. The process for hauling the lumber took a week, and the initial four rooms were built in an A-frame design with two downstairs rooms which were almost entirely underground. The Vannerson Homestead is listed under Criteria A & D. It is eligible for the NRHP at the local level under Criteria A for its association with exploration and settlement as one of the few remaining early settlement homesteads. Under Criteria D, Vannerson Homestead is eligible for its potential to yield information regarding half-dugout construction in early settlement times in Oklahoma. Its period of significance extends from 1896 to 1916, the date of construction on the last building.
View the Vannerson Homestead NRHP nomination.
|Vannerson Homestead, 2001||Vannerson Homestead, 2015|
J.P. Tipton Farmstead
Newkirk vicinity, Kay County
On September 16, 1893, J. P. Tipton set out to find land during the Cherokee Outlet Land Run. The land he homesteaded became the J. P. Tipton Farmstead, a property that is listed as an Oklahoma Centennial Farm (1993), a Barn Again! Award recipient (1995), and in the National Register of Historic Places (1998). The J. P. Tipton Farmstead was listed in the National Register under Criterion A for its significance within the contexts of exploration/settlement and agriculture and under Criterion C for its architectural significance as the only intact historic farmstead in the vicinity of Newkirk, Oklahoma. The buildings on the property were built of limestone quarried about a mile east of the farm. Each stone was selected and numbered and hauled to the farm. Payment for the masonry work on the barn was $50 and two greyhounds in 1904.
For more information about the J. P. Tipton Farmstead, view the NRHP nomination.
|Original J.P. Tipton Farmstead||J.P. Tipton Homestead Certificate|
Moore Ranch (Connie Moore Ranch)
Nowata, Nowata County
The Connie Moore Ranch in Nowata County, Oklahoma, became a part of the Oklahoma Centennial Farm & Ranch Program in 1999 and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. In 1884, J.B. Moore came to the Indian Territory with his family, including his son William Sherman Moore. After the death of her husband and later claiming land in the Cherokee Strip Land Run of 1893, William's mother moved, relinquishing her property. In 1894, Mary Scudder, a Cherokee tribal member, acquired the land that would become the Moore Ranch following her marriage to William Moore in 1898. The family continues to run the ranch to this day, 118 years later.
For more information about the Moore Ranch, view the NRHP nomination.
|Connie Moore Ranch House, 2009||Connie Moore Ranch Barn, 2009|
Break O’Day Farm
Durham, Roger Mills County
The Break O’Day Farm is one of Oklahoma’s more unique properties in the Centennial Farm & Ranch Program and the National Register of Historic Places for its association with artist Augusta Metcalfe, the “Sagebrush Artist of Oklahoma.” The property was included as a Centennial Farm in 1995 and was NRHP listed in 2005. Break O’Day Farm is listed under Criteria B for its association with the life of a person significant in our past. Augusta Metcalfe’s parents, Edward and Mary Corson, homesteaded the property in 1893. Augusta started painting at the age of seven, and some of her pictures appeared in publications such as Life Magazine. In 1963 she was the subject of the documentary Pioneer Painter. The property is now known as the Break O’Day Farm & Metcalfe Museum and hosts the Metcalfe Museum Youth Art Camp for students ages 9–14 in June.
For more information about the Break O’Day Farm, view the http://nr2_shpo.okstate.edu/QueryResult.aspx?id=05000616NRHP nomination. For more information about the Metcalfe Museum, visit museum’s website.
|Break O'Day Farm Main Home, 2003||Two Horses in Washita River, 1958|