Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
In 1976 the Oklahoma Historical Society published Mark of Heritage. Written by Muriel Wright, George Shirk, and Kenny Franks, this publication contains information about historic sites and historical markers in Oklahoma.
Read Mark of Heritage online
Your search returned 4 results.
George C. Sibley Expedition
Sibley, an Osage Indian agent, and two others were believed to be the first whites to view the Great Salt Plains on an expedition to the area in the summer of 1811. Sibley called the geological phenomenon "a perfect level plain covered in dry hot weather from two to six inches deep with a beautiful clean white salt."
Located 1/2 mile east of junction of OK-8 and OK-11, north of Cherokee
Located on the northwest corner of Sod House Museum grounds
This is the only complete, restored, and intact sod house remaining in Oklahoma. As Oklahoma was settled, homesteaders cut long furrows of sod into blocks and stacked them to form walls. Openings were left for windows and doors. Thousands of sod houses once dotted the prairie but eventually were destroyed by the harsh climate of the Great Plains. This house, constructed by Marshall McCully, was protected by trees and a frame building.
Located on OK-8, five miles north of Cleo Springs at Sod House Museum
Stella Friends Academy
A group of Quakers settled this part of the Cherokee Outlet in 1893. A primary school opened in a sod house and was named for the first teacher, Stella Howard. Within four years a high school was built. The school closed in 1922 after railroad expansion brought new towns and free schools into the area.
Located on OK-11, two miles east of junction with US-64, north of Cherokee
Search for Markers
Browse by County
Roger Mills County