Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
In 1976 the Oklahoma Historical Society published Mark of Heritage. Written by Muriel Wright, George Shirk, and Kenny Franks, this publication contains information about historic sites and historical markers in Oklahoma.
Read Mark of Heritage online
Your search returned 4 results.
Cheyenne-Arapaho Cattle Ranch
The main headquarters for this million-acre ranch was on the Washita River at the mouth of Quartermaster Creek. The ranch was also known as the Apple Ranch.
Located on OK-33, three miles east of Hammon
Jabbok Orphanage & School
Abe Eisenhower, uncle to President Dwight D. Eisenhower, started the orphanage in 1901 as a project of the Brethren of Christ Church. The surrounding cropland continues to provide income for missionary efforts of the organization.
Located on OK-33 at west edge of Thomas
Red Wheat Allotment
Prior to the Cheyenne and Arapaho Reservation land run of April 19, 1892, this quarter-section of land was allotted to a Cheyenne woman named Red Wheat. Mennonite emigrants from Russia introduced 'Turkey red' winter wheat to northwest Oklahoma.
Located on OK-66 at east edge of Clinton
Southwestern State College
The Sixth Legislative Assembly of Oklahoma Territory established the college on March 8, 1901. Classes began two years later with James Robert Campbell as the first president. The school is now known as Southwestern Oklahoma State University.
Located on OK-66, 1/2 mile east of Weatherford
Search for Markers
Browse by County
Roger Mills County