Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
In 1976 the Oklahoma Historical Society published Mark of Heritage. Written by Muriel Wright, George Shirk, and Kenny Franks, this publication contains information about historic sites and historical markers in Oklahoma.
Read Mark of Heritage online
Your search returned 5 results.
The springs were a favorite rest stop on the Chisholm Trail on long cattle drives from Texas to Kansas. A pioneer merchant, trader, and explorer, Jesse Chisholm, a mixed-blood Cherokee, established the trail through western Indian Territory before the Civil War. Texas cattlemen used the trail until the late 1880s to move millions of cattle to northern markets. The trail ran from Montague County, Texas, to Abilene, Kansas. Buffalo Springs was an important gathering place for settlers making the land run on April 22, 1889.
Located on US-81, 1 1/2 miles north of Bison
The 1893 opening of the Cherokee Strip was the largest opening of Indian lands to settlement in American history. The 6.5 million acres now comprise parts of eleven counties in northern Oklahoma east of the 100th Meridian. The area is officially known in government records as the Cherokee Outlet. On September 16, 1893, thousands of 160-acre homesteads dotted the land hours after the opening.
Located on US-81 near Garfield-Kingfisher County line south of Bison
Government Springs was a camping place on the Chisholm Trail used originally by Indians and later by all travelers. See Buffalo Springs.
Located at northwest corner of Government Springs Park in Enid (DAR)
Horse Watering Trough
The solid granite trough was originally located in the public square in downtown Enid and was used through the decades as a place to water thirsty horses and later as the center of a children's wading pool.
Located at intersection of East Maine Street and South Grand Avenue in Enid (DAR)
Northwestern Academy opened in 1898 under the auspices of the Congregational Home Missionary Society of Boston, Massachusetts. A three-story building was the prominent structure of the school that was an important educational and religious center for twelve years.
Located in City Park in Carrier (DAR)
Search for Markers
Browse by County
Roger Mills County